Thread: A few finds and my oldest coin - 10/18

A few finds and my oldest coin - 10/18

Did basically the same thing as last Sunday. Spotted a couple walls on Google, then took a ride. Got in a couple hours before a downpour chased me out.

First spot was a nice level area that looked promising. Was getting iron targets scattered about, but nothing good sounding. So, started digging to see what it was. Square nails, mystery iron chunks, and other stuff you'd hope to find in the woods. Surprise was the 2-piece iron monkey. I think it's a monkey anyways. 4" tall. Too back the back piece was broken, but it was maybe a foot from the front half. Didn't find anything else of interest, and moved on after 45 minutes. I wonder if it's been hit before.

Wandered down an old path and got the rest of my finds. 2 small buckles, a thin 2-piece tin, a Zincoln, and what my detector told me was a 2'nd Zincoln even deeper, turned out to be my oldest coin yet. A crusty 1880 IH! Hoping it'll clean up. Found a bit more crunk, checked out a couple more of those nice level areas, and after some light rain I was OK with, it started raining hard. Wasn't ready for that. Had a ziploc over the head, but all I had for the box was the small towel I always carry. Time to go!

Thanks for reading, and on with the pics. Monkey input is welcome. My guess is maybe a piece off a cast iron bank? I'm hitting the local hardware store tomorrow for distilled water. I want to tinker with electrolysis soon, and have something other than farming crunk to do it with.

Name:  T1.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  104.0 KB
    Name:  T2.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  84.2 KB
    Name:  T3.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  90.3 KB
    Name:  T4.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  67.2 KB
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Congrats on the Indian Head!

Being a comic book collector, I recognized the cast iron figure immediately. It isn't a monkey, it's the Yellow Kid. Do a Google image search for "Yellow Kid cast iron" and you will see several examples.

Here's one currently on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1920s-Cast-I...item54124bc8b4
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 421 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 133 Barber Dimes, 407 Mercury Dimes, 250 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 17 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Glad ya got out, hope to see that monkey after you do your electrolysis thing. WTG on getting your oldest coin yet. Thanks for putting up the picture of the ziplock on your detector and not "your" head.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Tony. Now I have to go back and try and find the cart & dog/goat.

Name:  YellowKid.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  64.6 KB
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

hey Brian , congrats on your oldest coin hope the indian cleans up . the Yellow kid cast iron is pretty cool (Tony don't know how you id'ed that thing , what is the story on it anyways ??)
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I'm chipping away at the obv side with a toothpick now Dan. The edges a little eroded, but the detail on the face is in great shape, and has nice patina.

What's the best way to get rid of the remaining dirt the toothpick can't get and not wreck the patina? Distilled water soak and a light brush?

Brian, if the coin has the nice slick green patina under the crust the toothpick can't hurt the coin's surface but the edges can be brittle so you have to be careful near them. sometimes a ice long soak in water then sitting the coin very close to a heat lamp or flood light will loosen the crust more.

Nice ID Tony. I'm certainly no expert on cleaning coins but when I use a tooth pick I use it in small circular motions...and I stay away from the edges of IHs...they always chip. I ruin more IHs than I improve Nice going Brian....do they make a rain cover for your detector?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Yeah, saw that on a cleaning vid Drew. Circular motion. Edges were beat up out of the hole. Rev side isn't going to clean up as nice.
    Don't know Drew. Really don't see covers specifically for the Spectra, but the box is the same as the other series I think. The stand bracket I bought fit. So technically I could use one if they make it. I want to replace the oddball cover on it now.

Name:  1800.1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  64.2 KB

nice picture Brian , great job on the cleaning

WTG on your oldest IH! I got my V3i cover from these guys http://www.amazon.com/Whites-Spectra...tom+Covers+LLC

I like the idea of the Digital ACU Camo as black might attract to much heat from the sun.
    This is a message I got from them when I was looking at them:

We fill all orders in black unless otherwise requested. Current color choices are the digital ACU camo, woodland camo that is the traditional old school camo, coyote brown it is tan, foliage green it is almost silvery/gray with a green hue like the underside if a tree leaf and Realtree AP But that is a thinner 500 denier material. And black.

If you place an order just send another message with your actual color choice as soon as you order. We make all covers to order, current lead time is 24 hours.

Thank you for your interest in our products.

John Emerson
    BTD Custom Covers LLC
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Congrats on digging your oldest coin. You did a nice job cleaning it.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

nice job on IH and the cast iron toy is pretty cool!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Yeah I can see how the thing would make you think monkey at first. I would think curious George. Lol. I did yard work before the rain hit. It doesn't even look like I did anything due to the heavy rain and wind. As for the strange reading. I actually was reading a full copper penny to a dime on the machine at one of the recent parks. I pulled out a nickel.

Congrats on your oldest coin and one of my favorites to dig nice hunt
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Nice going with cleaning your IH and your oldest. I used the electrolysis method myself just last week on a mercury that looked like it had a steel penny that caked on it. A long soapy bath and a toothpick would not do anything.

That IHP cleaned pretty well. That cast piece is pretty cool.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Very nice finds and congrats on the Indian cleaning job!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album