Thread: Spoonville with Lee - 5.13.15

Spoonville with Lee - 5.13.15

It's coughed up some cool goodies, including my Sterling Trifecta and 1'st Walker, so I planned on hitting it again this past Wednesday. Got a text from Lee @ 10PM Tuesday seeing what I was doing, and he was up for it as well.
    Got started around 10AM. The place hasn't been mowed yet this year, so the swinging was a bit tough. I headed for the area I found my Walker, and didn't take long to get some numbers.

1'st dig of the day was a toy horse. Poked around and found one of his legs (which I have since lost).
    Name:  Horse1080p.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  41.1 KB

After that, things get fuzzy. The sheer number of spoons I dug destroyed my short-term memory, and some of my long-term too. Just in a 20ft radius or so around the Walker, I dug probably 8, and walked away still hearing them.
    Dug a ton of targets, finally giving up on the 10-18 VDI ones as I had reached my foil limit for the day. Total silverware for the day was 14 spoons and 2 forks. Only notable find for me was a 1918 Wheatie.
    Name:  Cleanup1080p.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  63.1 KB

Name:  Dragonfly1080p.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  38.5 KB

Name:  Lid1080p.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  28.5 KB

And my whatisit item. I think it might be a mane or tail brush? Circular, and the metal base is only 2 1/4" wide. Anyone know for sure?
    Name:  Brush1080p.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  42.8 KB

Funny moment of the day is when Lee hollers me over for a killer tone. It's an 88 on my V3i, banging the low freq, and 2" down. Deja Vu for me.
    He asks if I want to record the live dig, so on went the camera. It's at this point I tell him what it'll be if it's not silver. He digs the plug and it's not there. Uh oh. His Garrett pinpointer is saying deeper. Off he goes to China, and finally hits his target. And from the ground comes the 3'rd aluminum percolator filter disc I know of out of Spoonville! Nailed it! The other 2 I dug.
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 05-15-2015 at 08:23 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Brian the amount of spoons or tableware from that field is mind boggling the "whats it" is actually a vintage floral "frog"
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I am blown away by the number of utensils. Dan is correct about the flower frog, it seems to be a few of them showing up lately.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Wow. You are good Dan. Never heard of a floral frog before.
    The place coughs up all kinds of neat crunk. The lack of coins means someone cherry picked it. If you're willing to dig it all, it'll still reward you though.
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 05-15-2015 at 09:38 PM.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Wow, never seen that many utensils from one site. Had to have been a picnic spot huh?

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

Brian are the spoons from around the same time frame or many years apart , you may have stumbled into a family reunion picnic area that went on for generations .
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

I would guess all the plated ones are pretty close in dating. I'll get a group photo of all of them. That sterling heavy with the monogram has to be the oldest. Maybe 1870's? It weighed in at 1.15 ounces IIRC.

I agree with John and Dan that it must have been a picnic spot. Maybe the spooning will be better after they cut the grass. Nice digging!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Damn somebody hated spoons and the last pick is a hemrodius scratcher.

That is an incredible amount of flatware coming out of one spot. Pretty funny about Lee getting that banging signal and you knew what it probably was....
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I forgot to do this last week, d'oh. All the silverware I've dug out of there in 3 or 4 trips.

Name:  SpoonThumb1080p.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  45.5 KB