Thread: My trip to New England, digging with Jim: my first new England copper, 13 Indians,etc

My trip to New England, digging with Jim: my first new England copper, 13 Indians,etc

For my graduation trip I choose to go to Cape cod and see that area since I had never been there. While I was up I also got to do some digging of course! I did some research of the area and found a cellar in the woods but regrettably it was void of any nonferrous targets. Then I got a permission at an 1814 house which was the personage to a church. The pastor was incredibly friendly and one of the coolest people I have met detecting! I invited Jim (RIDIRTDIGGER) up to hunt it with me before we hit some holes in RI. He started finding the good stuff first, with an 1851 Italian coin and an awesome silver thimble. I then pulled my first New England copper, a matron head largie! It's an 1821 but Its really hard to see the date. Jim continued digging and got an Indian and a merc, while I got a lieutenants insignia. Then while we took a little break my dad got a 1935 Washington so we decided to pound the area where he found it. Jim struck first with a unique Boston/France whale tail buckle, then I got a realy deep flat button. A bunch of wheaties came out and then I found a huge musketball, at least .69 caliber! Then we took a break for lunch and headed to RI. After a drive we came to the woods, but the holes were miles away. We finally got to one and a friend I took dug a large flat button right at the hole. Searching around I got a large button that has three leaf clovers or something on it. Dad got a thimble and then a small alloy/tombac button. Jim got a musketball and then we moved to a different one where dad got another thimble, but at that point we decided to cal it quits. Thanks Jim for showing me cellar hole hunting since we don't have that in my area!! Soon thereafter, I got an email from the pastor, and he was in a bit of trouble. Apparently some of the churchpeople were upset that he allowed us to hunt the parsonage, and really liked the thimble and wanted it back. So Jim obliged and it will be in a permanent display. The pastor was very cool throughout the situation, I can't say enough good about him. Fast forward a day or two, and my buddy and I noticed a large park in front of our hotel, and knowing the areas history figured it would be worth a hit. I first found an old brass wedding band and a harmonica reed, and soon down by where the beach began I nabbed a silver, a merc. I also found 3 Indians that day and my buddy got one. The next day we went again, with the tally being 9 more Indians, I found 8 my buddy got one, but he also got a 1918d merc, and a silver cufflink ( I will have those pictures later) we also dug some foreign coins, I got a cash coin and my buddy got an irish and Netherlands coin. I even had some eyeball finds on this trip, including 3 pipe send ( gave my buddy two) and I got an ANCIENT looking top to a bottle, I'm thinking turn of the 1600s but could be wrong. Found it in an area from the easy 1600s. Had a blast in New England and am sad to have to come home.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

You guys did wonderfully! You're making us New Englanders look bad I can't make out what's on that leaf, I think I see a dobson fly?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    You guys did wonderfully! You're making us New Englanders look bad I can't make out what's on that leaf, I think I see a dobson fly?
    Thanks!! :D there's actually a frog on that leaf, he did a good job of camouflaging himself!!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Congrats on graduating and making some nice finds! I am concerned for Drew though. It might be time for glasses when you mistake a frog for a fly
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

I see him now you point it out...I was trying to make his leg into a dobson fly wing...couldn't see the forest through the trees.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Those are great finds and it looks like you had an enjoyable trip.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Congrats on graduating and making some nice finds! I am concerned for Drew though. It might be time for glasses when you mistake a frog for a fly
    Thank you! Honestly, I showed that picture to some other people and they didn't even see anything in it, so seeing the leg and thinking its a Dobson fly is pretty good in my book!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    Those are great finds and it looks like you had an enjoyable trip.
    It definitely was, can't wait for another opportunity to head up!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

very nice finds Luke and belated welcome to New England ! I agree with your assumption about the bottle , it looks like it may be to either a "black glass" case in or onion squat type.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great time hunting with you and great finds! That site had a lot of Indians. Hopefully we can hunt together another time.
    Oldest coin(s): 1600's Spanish copper maravedis Oldest American Coin: 1797 Large Cent. Oldest silver: 178? Spanish 1/2 Reale
    Best Relic(s): Pre Civil War US Revenue Service Button, GW Button, Best Find(s): 1790 King George III Gold Guinea/ "Long Live the King" Button

Great finds my friend. Well done on the NE copper and the Indian heads
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    very nice finds Luke and belated welcome to New England ! I agree with your assumption about the bottle , it looks like it may be to either a "black glass" case in or onion squat type.
    Thank you! It's a beautiful area! Awesome! I couldn't imagine finding a whole one!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by RIdirtdigger View Post
    Great time hunting with you and great finds! That site had a lot of Indians. Hopefully we can hunt together another time.
    Same!! It was a blast!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    Great finds my friend. Well done on the NE copper and the Indian heads
    thanks! Wish you were there!
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    "Swords into plowshares"

Nice bit of finds. Apparently there have been a lot of harmonica's used in this area as I have seen quite a bit of reeds pulled up this season. As far as the explanation on the parsonage...wth?? Parting with the thimble is a nice gesture... but the part that bugs me is about the people complaining just because you were at the parsonage digging. The parsonage is not the actual church. The place of worship is the church building. So it's ok for the town to dig up the church property for sewer or pipe or electrical maintenance and the land be dirt for months while the grass grows back, but all the sudden we've got a problem when someone digs a few small holes when the grass looks fine when the holes are filled back in? C'mon.. find something worth complaining about. What some haven't learned yet is that you can't make everyone happy so some have to deal with something they don't like. Besides, the church isn't their property, so they can have an opinion but it shouldn't affect you.

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Haha. I saw your post and went to the pic trying to figure out what you saw and immediately saw the frog. It's like one of those magic eye pics. I saw Luke replied already tho.