Thread: Hay Cut 1749 KG

Hay Cut 1749 KG

I drove by one of my fields this morning to see how low the grass was and it had just been cut This is a 20ish acre field that has been plowed as late as a few years ago. Age does not determine how deep targets are at this place. I've dug dandies at an inch and Shell gas tokens at six inches. I've dug many IHs/wheats/buttons/buckles here but never a large copper...until this morning.
    A meaty 1749 KG2 as I worked my way back to my car.
    Also a good looking 1910 wheat and some D buckles (which sound like dimes ) Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Dang Drew, that's a sweet copper. Even has a clear date on it. I wonder why those D buckles sound like dimes on your machine. But then again I don't have your machine. I did say pennies read real close on the GTI so its kinda hard to distinguish (unless it's border line reading and you are at a cellar. Um but that's not always fool proof. People do hike those old roads.) D buckles to me are close to buttons and a bit above zincolns on the TR. We'll see soon tho having a VDI 0-99, kinda like yours.

Thanks Jim, I think the roundness of the buckle brings the VDI up a hair and the pinpointing shape of it makes me think it's a dime. I don't know... but 2plus tones on the T2 allows me to hear the shape, and it reminds me of a dime. Ox knobs make me think I'm digging a copper for some reason.
    I called the KG today though I envisioned a matron, so I was off by a little.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Killer Copper! Beautiful details!!!

i've seen a lot of that year hold up pretty well , nice coin Drew !!
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

WOW, awesome copper find! As for the D-rings, I would not have a clue why it rang up like a dime-my machine had been giving me some way off VDI readings on common items like Lincoln cents coming up like dimes or a tiny chain showing a -4 (iron).
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!

I don't think that I have ever seen a better one dug lovely KG!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Outstanding cooper. Congratulations!

Whoa drew you dug a looker! Your year is outstanding! Very beautiful!
    Detectors: dual wield at-pros, t2
    oldest copper- 1717 KG I
    oldest US silver- 1832 capped bust dime
    "Swords into plowshares"

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    Ox knobs make me think I'm digging a copper for some reason.
    I called the KG today though
    ....Wait. Isn't this a contradiction? Lol. Yes those ox knobs do sound pretty sweet, however.
    Maybe it is the shape. I might have to go check my buckles to what they read specifically. I don't exactly know if it was in the 50s or 60s range for me. But Idk how many times steel washers sound just like coins...due to the shape. Plus it depends a little where you put it into pinpoint mode, how close it is to metal or actual target, that has an effect on the pinpoint size. You can make the target look smaller by where you put it into pinpoint...so it looks like a dime size target.

Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    i've seen a lot of that year hold up pretty well
    I have not noticed with the KG II. Todd had a Matron he pulled up that was in great shape. I mentioned there must be a different alloy for that specific year, but I never actually found any info indicating such. There has to be a reason why certain years hold up better and for enough get pulled up looking that way to make the distinction.
    Last edited by MangoAve; 08-21-2015 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks everyone! Yeah, I don't know Jim and Digger O'Dell, but those small buckles sound and VDI like coins on the T2. I just ran those buckles and a dime under my coil to make sure I wasn't crazy and everything was an exact 83. In the dirt they are more like an 80 though.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Congrats on that copper! Very meaty indeed.
    Detectors I use: Minelab Equinox 900 & Manticore
    Favorite finds I have made:
    1,000+ silver coins
    103pcs of 1700's Trade Era Silver
    Copper Culture Indian Artifacts
    125+ War of 1812 Era buttons and relics
    My wife
    (probably should have started with that one)

Now that is one beautiful copper!

Great detail on both sides of the coin, and a clear date.

You are definitely on a hot streak, Drew! Enjoy the ride!

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Drew that is one of the finer looking KG's that I have seen come out of the ground
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Dang Drew. That's one fine copper. Love the detail. I think you've had the best season here in CT. Can you please leave some for us
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by MangoAve View Post

I have not noticed with the KG II. Todd had a Matron he pulled up that was in great shape. I mentioned there must be a different alloy for that specific year, but I never actually found any info indicating such. There has to be a reason why certain years hold up better and for enough get pulled up looking that way to make the distinction.
    i too don't know about the KG's but the Matrons made after The War of 1812 used planchets imported from England which were of a very good quality so those late teens Matrons tend to hold up well.
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Sweet copper
    Nice one
    Dig Colonial or Go Home

Personal Website www.cttodd.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    i too don't know about the KG's but the Matrons made after The War of 1812 used planchets imported from England which were of a very good quality so those late teens Matrons tend to hold up well.
    At least I know I'm not going crazy. haha. Jk. Maybe I should say at least my memory still works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent View Post

You are definitely on a hot streak, Drew! Enjoy the ride!
    Thanks all, well school started today so the "ride" is over Exit to the left, mind the gap!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

George is a nice find.