Thread: Farm house hunts

Global Moderator Fire Fighter 43's Avatar

Farm house hunts

I chaperoned my sons 4th grade class field trip to a local beef farm a few weeks ago. When the farmer asked if anyone had questions, I had to ask how old his place was. His answer, it was established in 1846. So, I'm sure you can guess what I asked him later. The day I showed up to detect he began to tell me about all the landscaping and remodeling projects that he had done. My hopes for virgin ground were diminished. I detected for about 2 hours with out much Luck, a few pieces of clad and a few brass objects. There wasn't even your typical iron trash. I determined it was a bust and decided to call it quits. When I went to thank the farmer he said he owned two more properties that were just as old and as far as he knew were pretty much untouched. He gave me permission to detect both of them.
    The first place was a nice old farm site with a bunch of old out buildings, even the out house was still standing. I went straight for the cloths line and within a minute had a sweet 12-47 at 5-6 inches. It was a 1941 Washington that had been hit by a mower, a good start. I found several ares that had been filled and finally got on some old ground where the wheats started coming so I knew the silver wasn't far behind. I managed to get 3 Mercs 39, 40, 44, a token, 1962 dog tag, a crotal bell and 5 wheats.
    The second site was equally impressive when I pulled up, with old out buildings including the out house. I found a couple wheats, a Merc. 1920 and 2 Silver Rosie's 58 & 63.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Minelab Equinox 800, 15”Coiltek, 11” & 6”coils

XP Deus II , 11", 9” & 11x13 coils

Detectors since 1977: Simplex, DEUS, CTX 3030, F75 Ltd, Etrac, Excal II, V3i, DFX, GTI2000, Eagle II, 6000DI, 6DB, AlaskanTR4B, Beachcomber

Nice finds. I had like one wheat and one IH that were hit by the lawnmower. Still, yours counts as a silver. Just tell people it adds character.
    The crotal, is obvi a bit older. I think those stopped being used sometime around 1910 (but there are prob replicas still made). So the area you found it might be a tad older. I found a crotal around the same area where a seated quarter came up, and maybe 40 ft away were some ox knobs and an ox bell.

Nice finds, Jeff! You got some silver coins and some cool relics. I really like the token and the crotal bell!

I think the dog tag is probably from 1964, and was the 1,962nd one issued.

Congrats on the finds!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 421 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 133 Barber Dimes, 407 Mercury Dimes, 250 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 17 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Those second two house sure paid off. Congrats on all the silver
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

"So, I'm sure you can guess what I asked him later. ".....I would expect nothing less. .

The finds are great, all those silvers , especially like the crotal and the dog tag.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Way to go on the permissions! Congrats

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

What a great mixed bag of goodies there
    Nice trade token and silvers...............and as frosting on the cake.....a crotal bell!

Some nice finds Jeff! I like your strategy-kids at farm, schmooze farmer, hunt! Lol
    Like that bell, still need to find one of those too, but yours is in really nice shape.
    Equipment:
    Minelab: CTX 3030, GPX 4800, X-Terra 705. Whites TDI SL.

2024: Silver 1, Gold 0
    Best finds: 28 silver dime spill, 1800s Dutch customs seal.
    Oldest/best coins: Late 1700's Chinese Cash Coin, 1837 Upper Canada large cent, 1877 Seated Dime
    Oldest Relic find: 1800 Sailors Luck token
    You Tube: Rediscovering America
    Quote: Treasures are like potato chips, you can never have just one!