Thread: What can I do with this cellar.

Candidate Member

What can I do with this cellar.

When I was a kid (50 years ago) I found a stone foundation (with a cellar) in the woods. Five years ago I decided to see if I could find it again and I did. There also is another another stone foundation without a cellar near by(maybe a small barn) and a well. This year I bought a metal detector and went looking for it again. I found it and got very crazy signals from buried 4" X 36" tin that must have been used for siding or roofing because it was buried all over the place. I gave up because I'm new at this but now I'm thinking I just have to struggle through it. I truly believe I'm the only person that knows where and what this is. Any advice?
    Thanks,
    Dirt Dog
    Last edited by Dirt Dog; 07-17-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Cellar foundations can be extremely trashy depending on a few factors .
    If the home was around and still being occupied in after the 1830's and or used much later as a dump site usually in the very early 1900's . For these type sites a beginner should stick to just outside of the debris or trash field , this is where the home collapsed and after all the wood rotted away leaving just the iron nails , lead and tin flashing and any other metal . This "field" is about 10 to 15 feet away from a cellar lip and the ground within these is just "carpeted" with the iron and unless you have a small coil , a very good machine and a lot of patience you'll be digging mostly trash.

Just outside of this "iron field" its a bit quieter and the signals aren't masked as much . Many good items will be lost around the 15 to 100 feet around a cellar foundation . some of my best finds have been found a 100 yards or more from a cellar . If it gets to quiet try going to just the edge of that "iron field" and work it real slow to hear any goodies mixed in the iron .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Dirt Dog, yeah it can be a struggle dealing with all that trash, even with a high end machine. But Dan gives great advice......work away from the "ring of audio insanity" that circles some of these sites. Don't get discouraged.

What kind of machine are you using? Folks on this site are happy to share their knowledge.
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Candidate Member
    Thanks for the advice! I will do that, I kinda gave up but that sounds really good. I have a Tecnectics 4000 and a Garrett AT Gold. I really like the Garrett, I went out with it this morning for about one and a half hours and found a silver Roosevelt, modern penny, nickel and a small brass bell.

You're up near the border. Yeah, Dan had some good info. The places that have lasted up until the 1930's ( ^ that's 20th century) have a lot of huge debris and overload signals. I can tell you the cellar where I got my first KG2 has concrete casing to the stone foundation. The spot where I got my first crotal bell has the same. The spot where I recently pulled up a huge immaculate plated spoon (maybe a mile from where I got my FE) has the same. ALL three sites I can see in the '34 aerial and all three sites had these pieces of tin roofing and old cans and old pots. Ridiculous amounts of trash, and the only thing I have been able to do at some of the spots was work away from the overload signals, deal with some, and clean up the area as best as I could with time provided. As a beginner I would suggest to stay a little away from the iron to where it becomes a little more sparse. You still want to hear a few bits of iron in the swings (if you have a way to hear the iron... my machine I can hear some grunts or clicks but it's almost like the iron audio is "ON" but lower volume than the good targets). Maybe try in between the cellar and barn. Just gotta try and use best judgment. Like at one place I saw an defined opening in the wall and it lead up the hill. I followed the path up to find only some modern wire coils maybe 80-100Ft from the old house. It just happened two LC were inside an animal pen a few feet apart just behind a barn. Almost the same distance from the cellar but SW instead of SE.
    Future goals: Capped bust coin, Flowing hair LC, Classic head LC, VT copper, MA copper, Pistareen, Two-cent pc, SLQ, GW inaugural button, Excelsior button, Civil war token, and a gold ring.

I posted a video of how I hunt the thick iron and trash. Hunting thick iron and trash takes practice and you have to learn your machine well to be successful at it. The overload with the big tin well about the only thing you can do with that is move it.
    Best finds GW Button and John Adams Cufflink.
    Trust in the Lord...