Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Lifetime of Finds

A Lifetime of Finds

Last night I found my old metal detecting log book from the 1980s in a box in my basement. I used to log every metal detecting trip I made and recorded everything I found. It was a real trip down memory lane reading through this book. There are entries from 1986 thru 1994. It's amazing how easy it was to find great coins back in those days at the most obvious places, like public schools and parks.

I won't bore you with much of the log book but here is the first page with the earliest entries. This would have been with my old White's 5000D machine still:

I also found recorded in the book the exact date that I bought my Fisher 126 machine, September 28, 1986. I had a lot of success with that detector, and used it up until about 1999. Here are two entries from December 3 & 4, 1988. This may have been my best weekend ever. I revisited this school MANY times and ended up finding a boatload of keepers there.
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 11-04-2014 at 09:02 PM.

Veteran Member

Re: A Lifetime of Finds

Very cool stuff Tony. Maybe we can hook up sometime when I can get to central Illinois. Keep on hunting!!

That's nothing to sneeze at! If I have half of that pile in a few years, I would be elated!

Now go find some more! happydance02
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Those are some great finds Tony. That's way more silver then i have found. The only thing i could compete with is The Indians, V's and Buff's.

That is just great on all that silver, thanks for sharing the pics. It just might give people some motivation. I find way more Mercury dimes then Roosevelts for some reason. I'd have to look but nw i think i almost have as many Barbers as Roosevelts.

Great job

Quote Originally Posted by v3ikid link=topic=6090.msg71825#msg71825 date=1307590401
    I find way more Mercury dimes then Roosevelts for some reason.
    I do too, these days. So far this year I have found 12 Mercs and 6 Rosies. But back in the 1980s you could find silver Roosevelt dimes everywhere because so many places were still unhunted and they were plentyful. I think now only the deeper coins remain in many places.
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

very cool post Tony , its interesting to see the type of finds you recovered back about 25 years ago and to see all that silver piled up like that ... well it looks great thumbsup01 . large coppers don't usually hold up well at parks and schools because of the clay thats mixed in with the soil ( its used to help hold moisture to keep grass looking lush and green) so the coins stay wet longer.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Great post.....those old memories are great. Huge pile of silver, wheats, IH's, nickles,
    Bet your glad you kept that book. In the old days from what I hear silver was everywhere. Now I consider myself lucky to find 1 per outing.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I envy you for detecting 25 years ago,what great finds could be had at most public spots!

Awesome post Tony. Pretty cool you held on to records of your earlier hunts.
    You have a whole mess of beautiful coins. |) Love the silver group shot.

Time to start working on the next pile.

Here's some of the other junk, er... I mean treasure that I've found over the years.

Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Lots of cool stuff there. Thanks for posting, I think I'll go detecting now.....oh, it's dark, rats!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

This is SOOOO neat!!! Thanks for sharing tony.
    I'll be back to check this out again for sure thumbsup01
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Veteran Member

thanks very nice coins , wish i had started in the 80s, only 5 years for me to date
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

975 Wheat Cents (Counting the one that's folded in half. lol)
    Lifetime totals:

Veteran Member

freaking awesome
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Nice bunch of finds I found one of my old log books, but it only went for a couple of months before I quit typing it lol But they bring back some memories don't they? Some of that junk (I mean treasures) may be worth more than some of them coins lol Especially the badges Nice finds Tony. I wish all my stuff was grouped that nicely lol
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

We need an icon of me falling out of my chair. Seriously, is there any left for the rest of us?
    I knew I was getting into this too late.

lol
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Really enjoyed the post and pics Tony. Thanks for sharing.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

i too have been metal detecting for 30 years unlike you tho i have sold a lot of silver years ago newly married with 3 kids i found my self needing the extra money looking at your logs tell me i wish i had done that you would still have a piece of your past that will stay in your memory thank you for that i think it would be a good idea to start one now my grandkids go with me dennis

Dang Tony! What an impressive pile of loot. Thanks for showing it to us. I especially liked the sterling aviator (gunner?) wings from WWII. I love that grey-silver patina those old wings get. Your large cents really are toasted. If that's how they look in Illinois soil then I am very lucky to have gotten one so nice last week. My surgery went well and I am home (and very sore) recovering. I took the week before X-mas off so maybe we'll be a bit of a warm spell then. If so, I WILL be coming up to hunt with you. Best wishes and HH, Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger