Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detecting in Public

Detecting in Public

I think that I may have a potential site to detect. We have in town some old rail tracks that were laid down in the late 1800 as I recall reading. Many sections have been removed but there are still long parts of it that has nice grassy areas next to it. Even if this area has been fixed in any way, it hasn't been for a long, long time and the town still mows the grass. The one caveat to this location, and this may seem silly to many of you, is that it is located right next to a major road (a lot of traffic) and there would be a lot of rubber necking as people drove by. I was curious to know how many people would still go ahead and detect the area despite the public view. I'm working up the courage to do it but don't know if I can. I've gotting better in parks while the crowds are small and not sure I'm ready for prime time.

Thanks
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Re: Detecting in Public

The public be dammed
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

Veteran Member

Headphones on , eyes to the ground , most the time i dont even know anybodies there
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

I struggle with the same thing sometimes. The shyness is wearing off, but I still try to do the bulk of my detecting at sunrise and after a rain. That seems to keep people indoors, plus it's generally not as hot outside.

I have found that my bashfulness wears off immediately after digging up one good find though. After that, I don't care who's watching, I just want to find more!
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I will add it to my very short list of sites and will definitely do it.
    I honestly don't don't think they have changed the grading since the tracks were put in so I'm hoping that if there is anything there, it could be old.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking link=topic=6472.msg75553#msg75553 date=1311111480
    I struggle with the same thing sometimes. The shyness is wearing off, but I still try to do the bulk of my detecting at sunrise and after a rain. That seems to keep people indoors, plus it's generally not as hot outside.

I have found that my bashfulness wears off immediately after digging up one good find though. After that, I don't care who's watching, I just want to find more!
    Sounds just like me.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Why be concerned about people you don't know and will probably never see again ? steve in so az
    Fisher 1266X - Lesche digger
    Headband

one word of caution,if you are too close to the public there will always be 1 nit wit that will throw something at you.
    If it wasn't for flashbacks, i would have no memory at all

This is something that will bother you less and less every time you go out.
    I understand what you are feeling... we've all been there before. That feeling will fade.
    Sounds like a great place for some keepers. thumbsup01

Even if they rubber neck, they can't stop and say anything without getting slammed from behind lol So I think you are safe in that respect. But I would add that you should be watchful of them hitting you. I would try and face them as I do the first couple of passes closest to the road.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

As long as you cut nice plugs and not hurting anything, they don't own it so I'm not bothering anyone, who cares what they think. Some people just like to think they own everything and everybody is bothering them. I have came acrossed some people like that before but thankfully not very often, most people are just curious if your finding anything good though.
    MXT300 D2,950,6x10,4x6

I share your uncertainty - I want to do this right - there are a lot of considerations.
    Ace 250 - new but loving it!

It would have bothered me at first, but no longer, just don't get too close to the road.
    Oldest Coin: 1846 LC

Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer

Like others have said, coil to the soil and head to the ground. Hunting in high traffic areas has never bothered me, but I can understand how it would to some.
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I went out and detected along the tracks and found that what I really need is to curb my enthusiasm. Right below the grass which is growing in about an inch of soil, is what looks like a very deep cinder base. Also to my chagrin, I was finding crushed soda cans down at about six inches which was not a good sign. After about an hour and a half, all I had to show was one clad quarter so I decided to move on to another site on my list which also didn't pan out.

It is a fairly long stretch so I may do it again in the future since it's so close. In the meantime, I feel good that I took that first step to detecting in public.

Thanks again.
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6472.msg76137#msg76137 date=1311614125
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I went out and detected along the tracks and found that what I really need is to curb my enthusiasm. Right below the grass which is growing in about an inch of soil, is what looks like a very deep cinder base. Also to my chagrin, I was finding crushed soda cans down at about six inches which was not a good sign. After about an hour and a half, all I had to show was one clad quarter so I decided to move on to another site on my list which also didn't pan out.

It is a fairly long stretch so I may do it again in the future since it's so close. In the meantime, I feel good that I took that first step to detecting in public.

Thanks again.
    Too bad about them sites. It takes a good long list of places to hunt, just to get one or two of them to work out. But it is finding one or two of them great sites that keeps us going lol Who knows, there may be a spot at that place that doesn't have the cinder base. It may pan out for you yet.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Hi Guys,

I just go to a place in the park where there's no people. The parks here are so huge, it's very easy to do. I know what you mean about this issue. I don't like to be bothered and I always avoid people. They leave and then I go where I want.

First post of the season....

Regards, Ken
    Minelab E-Trac, stock coil

I guess Ive got a lucky curse.The I dont give a rats a** what people think curse.
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget link=topic=6472.msg77401#msg77401 date=1312335705
    I guess Ive got a lucky curse.The I dont give a rats a** what people think curse.
    Could you be related to my wife?

lol
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Go get the goodies... 99% of the people won't even notice you....

GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO GO... I want to see goodies posted...

You still here... get your a$$ over there !!

Paul
    2013 Totals: 4 Coppers 37 Silver Coins 18 Indian Heads 4 V Nickels 5 Buffalos 137 Wheaties 4 Sterling Items
    Website: http://www.ctdirtfisher.com YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/CtDirtFisher

Quote Originally Posted by steve in so az link=topic=6472.msg75559#msg75559 date=1311115407
    Why be concerned about people you don't know and will probably never see again ? steve in so az
    Don't let anyone live in your head without paying rent.
    I've traveled a long way, and many of the roads weren't paved.