Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Detecting in Public

Re: Detecting in Public

Quote Originally Posted by kenfen link=topic=6472.msg77040#msg77040 date=1312130603
    Hi Guys,

I just go to a place in the park where there's no people. The parks here are so huge, it's very easy to do. I know what you mean about this issue. I don't like to be bothered and I always avoid people. They leave and then I go where I want.

First post of the season....

Regards, Ken
    No People = No Drops .... Hunt areas where there has been a bunch of people!!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.

Once you start finding things in this location, you'll forget all about the curious looks. One of the first places I ever detected was just adjacent to a major intersection here in the town where I live. I forgot about the stares when I started finding stuff. I do have a little difficulty with tot lots and feel a little like I'm making a spectacle of myself. But again, when I start finding things, I forget about the odd looks. The one thing I can't handle is when the kids in the tot lot take an interest and follow me around like the pied piper. That's when I've got to leave. I find it easier to detect with my partner under circumstances of high visibility. There's something about having another person close by making a spectacle of themselves that relieves a lot of my anxiety under these situations. If you find you just can't stand doing it by yourself, get a partner to share the public exhibition.

I have made some great finds out in the public. Don't worry about the prospective metal detectorists just dying to ask you a hundred questions. Be thankful that they are in their cars and just driving by.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget link=topic=6472.msg77401#msg77401 date=1312335705
    I guess Ive got a lucky curse.The I dont give a rats a** what people think curse.
    x2. i have the same illness
    im an american proud and free, a son of the south dont tread on me

Thanks again for all the replies and the support. I am getting better. I went out Saturday morning and I don't know if they came to watch me or take a coffee break, but at 6:20AM, a police car came into the park where I was detecting and parked a bit away from me. They watched for about 35 minutes and then left. I just kept hunting and figured that if they didn't want me there, they were going to have to get out and tell me. Later (fortunately as I was getting ready to leave) I gained a shadow. A seven or eight year old came up to me and wanted to know if I was looking for treasure chests. He then stuck to me like glue to a point where he would stick his hand in the hole to remove dirt. Fortunately all I found was a penny while he was with me and then told him I had to leave.

I can only imagine what stories can be told by people who have been doing this for a lot longer. I may have to get back to the woods where I only have to worry about skunks, poison ivy, ticks and mosquitos. None of them ever asked me any questions.

lol
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6472.msg78112#msg78112 date=1312839695
    Later (fortunately as I was getting ready to leave) I gained a shadow. A seven or eight year old came up to me and wanted to know if I was looking for treasure chests. He then stuck to me like glue to a point where he would stick his hand in the hole to remove dirt. Fortunately all I found was a penny while he was with me and then told him I had to leave.
    lol I can remember being that young boy doing the exact same thing 8/ Now I know the other side of the coin. I was bugging someone rofl I never did find a good way of telling someone to keep their hands out It's my penny lol All in a day's work in the public eye. I too hide in the woods
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Just once.............

I would like a spectator to ask what is the worst thing you have ever found ?
    or some passerby kid going by repeating peeb ,peeb, peeb , peeb
    or some parent say leave that old man alone he's trying to do his thing in peace
    or have the kids throw dollar coins in front of my detector instead of zincs.
    I guess there's about as much of a chance of these things happening as there is of achieving world peace .

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa link=topic=6472.msg75552#msg75552 date=1311111346
    Headphones on , eyes to the ground , most the time i dont even know anybodies there
    I have to concentrate so hard trying to coax high sounds that I forget where I am.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Sometimes in high traffic areas I use orange s to make people think I work for the city lol Stick a few in the ground - you can use them to actually grid your areas and have some sticking out of your belt.

I've had quite a few people think I was weed eating- one woman said wow, that is the quietest weed eater I've ever seen... rofl

This has been an interesting thread. I admit I'm a little shy when it comes to MDing- I like my peace and quiet. I've learned to stay away from tot lots with lots of kids (if not in the mood to have 20 kids following you around asking questions).

Btw, I have a funny thread on here somewhere about 'what comments have you heard while detecting'. I'll try to find it

Here it is: [url=http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.msg12948#msg12948]http://www.americandetectorist.com/forum/index.php?topic=1030.msg12948#msg1294/url]
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Thank you for posting the link to that thread. It is priceless and I think there could be a book/movie in there somewhere.

rofl

Simply great!
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 link=topic=6472.msg78824#msg78824 date=1313259865

Thank you for posting the link to that thread. It is priceless and I think there could be a book/movie in there somewhere.

rofl

Simply great!
    Thanks! I had fun re-reading it myself yesterday (over a year later) some really funny stories lol

I'm glad you started this thread. Have you bought some little orange s yet? lol
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

I think the idea of the orange is ingenious. I will definitely pick some up and keep them handy.

Thanks for the idea.

thumbsup01
    Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030