Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found the big one today

Found the big one today

Headed out to a country site with the intentions of starting a series of hunts to slowly grid off the entire site.
    I haven't hunted here since last year and it has always been on my list to revisit.

As it turned out, I didn't have very much time to hunt so instead of starting the grid process... I chose to wander around
    some of the 'less obvious' areas of this site. Picked up a Wheat pretty quickly and then the Buffalo.

About a half hour later I came across a similar signal that has produced some IH's nestled in trash for me before.
    Went in to the ground hoping for an 'off signal' Indian Head and ended up extremely surprised when a big silver disc landed
    on my towel with the second handful of dirt. I sat motionless for a few seconds looking at the disc realizing it was bigger
    than a half dollar. <:

In hindsight, the cursor was pegged right where the book says a silver dollar should be. Just didn't consider that's what it actually was.

This coin has a crazy MS65 dollar value in the Red Book for some reason.

One of my best coins this year and metal detecting memories to boot...

If I am going to have a one silver day... this is the one to get.

Re: Found the big one today

holy mackeral Joe she's a real beauty too what a great coin |) i think i would have wet myself after pulling that big georgous coin out lol lol hey mega congrats sir
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

S W E E T !!!!!! .
    That is one nice Morgan. Your buffalo nickle looks pretty nice too!
    Great finds for a short hunt.
    2018 silver coins=4
    Silver rings=
    Gold rings=
    Wheats=11
    I.H.=
    Buff=
    Clad=$21.31
    Dollar coins=2
    CTX3030, DFX w/Bigfoot, Beachhunter300, E-Trac.
    Hunting Michigan wet or dry!
    Oldest coin ever = King George II half penny 1729-1754
    Oldest U.S. coin = 1834 L.C.
    Oldest silver ever = 1839 seated half dime

|) |) |) I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy... lol

I bet you still have butterflies and shaky hands from this one |

Now I have to look up that crazy MS65 number.

I found this on EBay

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1901-MORGAN-DOLLAR-SILVER-NGC-MS62-RARE-KEY-DATE-/260866029416?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3 cbcd3b768]http://www.ebay.com/itm/1901-MORGAN-DOLLAR-SILVER-NGC-MS62-RARE-KEY-DATE-/260866029416?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3 cbcd3b76/url]

I just checked my Red Book

That sure is a big jump from EF to MS65. Think it might be AU-50?

Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Congrats Joe, shes a beauty!!!! thumbsup01
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

This is the BIG ONE!
    I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth!

Incredible coin, Joe! Just a mind-blowing find! Great photos too, I love them all, but especially the one with your detector lying beside the hole with the Morgan on top of the dirt pile. I am very happy for you! |

Congrats on THE BIG ONE! |)
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 421 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 133 Barber Dimes, 407 Mercury Dimes, 250 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 17 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Veteran Member

Holy Buckets Joe . you got one , great job . great aint it . awesome find
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Now that is one good looking woman there congrats. When I found my first silver dollar I packed up and went home. lol
    Whites mxt sunray probe stock coil 6×10 4×6 Minelab Etrac Garrett pro pointer and other stuff

Wow Joe thats awesome!!! Congrats on the big one

Veteran Member

Oh my, that is special, isn't it. Big congrats
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

JOE!!!!!! Thats AMAZING!!! | Couldnt have been found by a better person! Congrats <:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Wow and Wow again! That is so awesome Joe! What a beauty! I bet you just keep stairing at it over an over again!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Oh and by the way, time to upgrade the avatar!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Astounding find, Joe! Those large silver pieces will freeze you on the spot. lol And she is in sweet condition too. I hope you recorded your mandatory happy dance. lol

Nice job Joe! She is in wonderful shape. Congratulations on just a spectacular find. Sometimes just taking a walk is a good thing. I grid a lot, but I do enjoy a stroll with the detector. Good to see that BIG Silver make it to the light of day.
    "Knowledge counts but common sense matters." ~ LouAnne Johnson

Minelab E-Trac - Whites Vision/V3 - JeTco GTX Huntmaster - Whites Bullseye TRX - Garrett Pro-Pointer

Super fantastic...such a beautiful coin simply awesome!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7419.msg85549#msg85549 date=1318553894
    This is the BIG ONE!
    I'm coming to join you, Elizabeth!
    <} rofl Thats great Tony! Thats what I was thinking too! lol

You gotta be kiddin' me!!
    When you buy a metal detector, this is it! This is what we all strive for! A silver dollar!
    You found A SILVER DOLLAR!! <: happydance02 |)
    Mega Congrats on that one!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=7419.msg85539#msg85539 date=1318551321
    In hindsight, the cursor was pegged right where the book says a silver dollar should be. Just didn't consider that's what it actually was.
    lol Yeah! Thats because it's usually a crushed beer can a foot deep! lol >{

Congrats again buddy! thumbsup01
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Garrett Ace 350
    Garrett ProPointer
    ---
    3 Indian Head Pennies, 16 Wheat Pennies
    1 Two Cent Piece
    2 V Nickels, 3 Buffalo Nickels, 2 War Nickels
    3 Barber Dimes, 1 Mercury Dime
    1 Barber Quarter
    1 Silver Ring

Quote Originally Posted by del link=topic=7419.msg85540#msg85540 date=1318552000
    i think i would have wet myself after pulling that big georgous coin out
    lol I almost did. rofl Thanks Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by RaZR link=topic=7419.msg85542#msg85542 date=1318552520
    That is one nice Morgan. Your buffalo nickle looks pretty nice too!
    Thank you RaZR. I appreciate it. You are right, I was quite surprised at the detail of the Buffalo when I rubbed the dirt away.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat link=topic=7419.msg85544#msg85544 date=1318552654
    I bet you still have butterflies and shaky hands from this one |

I just checked my Red Book
    Yes, I have picked it up and looked at it more times than I would like to admit here. lol
    It is definitely an anomaly of a coin. Why such a big value on the higher grades?
    I wish this one was dropped much sooner after being introduced to circulation.
    Thanks Tana.

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget link=topic=7419.msg85547#msg85547 date=1318553625
    Congrats Joe, shes a beauty!!!! thumbsup01
    Thank you BHN. I'm still admiring her beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=7419.msg85549#msg85549 date=1318553894
    Incredible coin, Joe! Just a mind-blowing find! Great photos too, I love them all, but especially the one with your detector lying beside the hole with the Morgan on top of the dirt pile. I am very happy for you! |
    I appreciate it Tony. I'm glad I brought a camera along today. Normally I don't bring a camera along but today I'm glad I did.
    Sometimes I wonder if bringing it along is a curse. But today I proved otherwise. lol

Quote Originally Posted by dave in iowa link=topic=7419.msg85550#msg85550 date=1318554192
    you got one , great job .
    Thanks Dave, I still can't believe I got my coil over one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Rebel link=topic=7419.msg85552#msg85552 date=1318554471
    When I found my first silver dollar I packed up and went home. lol
    lol I circled mine on an outward spiral looking for another one. rofl No more were to be found though. lol Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by skribnodsister link=topic=7419.msg85558#msg85558 date=1318557545
    Wow Joe thats awesome!!! Congrats on the big one
    Thank you Donna. thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by randy link=topic=7419.msg85559#msg85559 date=1318557721
    Oh my, that is special, isn't it. Big congrats
    Yes, one of my favorite finds of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve link=topic=7419.msg85560#msg85560 date=1318558418
    JOE!!!!!! Thats AMAZING!!! |
    Thank you Steve... I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by milco link=topic=7419.msg85564#msg85564 date=1318559886
    I bet you just keep stairing at it over an over again!
    Definitely. I kept her in the passenger seat the whole way home. Looked at her every chance I got... and a few times I probably shouldn't have. lol

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=7419.msg85567#msg85567 date=1318560101
    Those large silver pieces will freeze you on the spot. lol And she is in sweet condition too. I hope you recorded your mandatory happy dance. lol
    Thank you Angel. Yep, there was a 20 second stop in time when I first noticed the coin on my dirt pile. Only thing that came to mind was... That's bigger than a half dollar. lol I guess I didn't want to admit to myself at the time of what I thought it looked like.
    By the way... no, I did not record the happy dance. I certainly don't want any copies of that floating out here on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberSage link=topic=7419.msg85571#msg85571 date=1318560517
    Nice job Joe! She is in wonderful shape. Congratulations on just a spectacular find. Sometimes just taking a walk is a good thing. I grid a lot, but I do enjoy a stroll with the detector. Good to see that BIG Silver make it to the light of day.
    Thanks Jack. I'm still more of a walker than a gridder... but I'm constantly working on changing that ratio. It is nice to see
    any silver be rescued from the depth of darkness. Anything brought out to the light of day for someone to appreciate is a great thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two link=topic=7419.msg85572#msg85572 date=1318560581
    Super fantastic...such a beautiful coin simply awesome!
    I appreciate it BT. thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by Ill Digger link=topic=7419.msg85574#msg85574 date=1318560925
    When you buy a metal detector, this is it! This is what we all strive for! A silver dollar!
    You found A SILVER DOLLAR!! <: happydance02 |)
    Thanks again Tim. It was great getting your call tonight. I was probably talking a mile a minute. lol
    You've always told me to not complain about one silver coin hunts. Now I see your reasoning. lol

Quote Originally Posted by switch link=topic=7419.msg85575#msg85575 date=1318561123
    Thanks switch.