Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First silver coin spill with my E-Trac

First silver coin spill with my E-Trac

We had a gorgeous day for detecting here in central Illinois today, sunny and in the upper 40s. Hard to believe that it's December 18. I decided to head back to a park in a very small town that I had detected only once before when I first got my E-Trac earlier this spring. On that first hunt I only found a few wheat cents. I figured that I would try it again now that I am more familiar with my machine.

Right away I found a wheat cent, and then about 15 minutes later the 1891 Indian Head. The Indian Head was showing a consistent 12-31 at 6 deep, but after I got the plug opened up the number jumped to 12-35, then I was pretty sure that it would be an Indian Head and it was.

After a few more wheat cents I got a very solid 12-46 also at 6 deep. This one was actually jumping up to 12-47 at times, so I was hoping for a silver quarter. Alas, it ended up being a 1942 Merc.

Then about 20 minutes later I got a 12-44 signal that was jumping around a bit and I wasn't sure what it was going to be but it had a little depth to it. After I got the plug opened up my Sunray probe told me that the target was still at the bottom of the hole, so I scooped out a decent amount of dirt. Running my probe over the pile of dirt, I could hear multiple targets. I had found my first spill with my E-Trac that had silver coins in it! In the dirt pile was a 1950-D wheat cent, a 1946 Jefferson Nickel, a 1939 Merc and a 1942 Merc. I could see that the 1939 Merc and the wheat cent had been together in the hole. Not the most mind-blowing coin spill ever, but it was still fun to unearth.

Back when I found my 50th silver coin of the year, DaddyDigger (Dave) suggested that I now go for 75 silvers. I didn't establish such a goal because I didn't think there was any chance that I would reach it. Well, the small coin spill with two Mercs in it gave me 75 silvers for the year. Who knew that we would still be enjoying prime metal detecting weather in mid-December? It has been an exceptionally fun year of detecting for me and I can't wait to see what 2012 brings.

Here is the small coin spill right after I recovered it:
    Name:  Spill-1218.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  113.9 KB

Todays coins before cleaning:
    Name:  Pile-1218.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  79.1 KB

1891 Indian Head, 5 wheat cents, 1946 Jefferson Nickel, and 3 Mercury Dimes:
    Name:  Display-1218.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  57.9 KB

It was nice to find an Indian Head cent that wasn't totally toasted:
    Name:  IndianHead-1218.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  66.0 KB

Mercury Dimes dated 1939, 1942 and 1942-S:
    Name:  Mercs-1218.jpg
Size:  55.6 KB

Some of the relics I found, junk ring, nickel plated unknown object, decorative finial, and some other decorative piece of metal:
    Name:  Relics-1218.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  48.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Re: First silver coin spill with my E-Trac

Congrats on the coin spill!! | And the IH is awesome
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Can't beat an old coin spill. That would make my day thumbsup01. Very cool finds |
    Whites M6, Eclipse 6X10 DD, Sunray DX-1

Nice spill Tony!! thumbsup01
    Those are always fun! thumbsup01
    It sure helps the silver count in a hurry too don't they! lol <:
    Nice hunt anytime of the year! Specially for December! <:
    Congrats !
    Some days you get the corn, some days you get the cob
    ​Oldest coin: ​70 B.C. "Harlow Flyer" gold qtr. Stater
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1814 Capped Bust Dime

Nice finds!! Congrats. If I may ask, what small town did you hunt?? It was definately a nice day to MD in our area. I visited the site of a 1800s home that is now a park by Lake Springfield but only came up with 63 cents worth of clad, some brass, and too many tabs.
    Minelab Etrac, SEF 8x6.
    Garrett AT Gold, 5x8 coil, Garrett PP
    Equinox 800

Veteran Member

great day
    Minelab E-Track ,Minelab SE, with stock coil, 10/12 sef coil , sunray 8 inch coil

silver count: 2011, 117 silvers , 20 indian heads

Nice finds Tony! I have yet to find a silver spill. Supposed to be warm later this week. I am going to try to come up if you have any days off. Dave.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Very nice finds. Congrats!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Quote Originally Posted by two_bit_digger link=topic=8248.msg93408#msg93408 date=1324264373
    If I may ask, what small town did you hunt?
    It was in Champaign County, and I plan on hunting it again. There should more there, I haven't covered all of the ground yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger link=topic=8248.msg93410#msg93410 date=1324265592
    Supposed to be warm later this week. I am going to try to come up if you have any days off.
    I have Thursday and Friday off this week, Dave. Let me know if you want to meet somewhere. It looks like the weather might be good for detecting both of those days. thumbsup01
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 421 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 133 Barber Dimes, 407 Mercury Dimes, 250 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 17 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Congrats! Those are some great digs for sure! You midwest folks are making me want to take a drive out west. If you ever head east let me know!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Tony, WTG on reaching the 75 mark for your silver. That spill must have gotten you excited. Another IH and some wheats make for a great hunt, especially in December. Can't wait to see your silver total for next year
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Veteran Member

Sweet spill <: They are a ton of fun. And congrats on the milestone.
    Oldest: 1755 Spanish silver; 1800 half dime | 1842 seated half | 1857 seated quarter | 516 silver coins in 2011!

Way to do it Tony !!! | I've been digging up quite a few coin spills myself lately but unfortunately all clad . Nice going .

Awesome finds and an even better year Tony! I especially like that you walked us through what the detector was telling you when you dug these targets. Invaluable experience when we can't be swinging the detector ourselves. Thanks!

|
    Minelab E-trac, Sunray X1 probe

2011 Silver goal: 20 (14 YTD- 8 Rosies, 5 Mercury Head dimes, 1 Barber dime)
    2011 Clad goal: $50 ($132.50 year to date)

Coin spills are awsome, Silver is even better and rare. WTG
    YTD hours hunted 159
    Silver coins 38
    Indian cents 59
    Wheats 292
    Buff's nickels 2
    "V" nickels 6
    Sheild Nickels 0

Big congrats on silvers and rest of your finds Tony. We are very lucky to have nice weather in mid December here and this weekend should be good too so best of luck if you go out. HH Mike
    Ace 250/Pro pinpointer,Totals 2012: 213 silver coins, 13 silver jewelry, 3 gold rings.

The two coins in the spill that showed signs of being against each other in the ground: The silver dime turned the copper cent black, and the cent left a green stain on the dime.
    Name:  Spill-Coins.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  93.0 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 11:33 AM.

<: <: <: Silver spill and #75 for the year.

You have had a tremendous year Tony. 75 silvers is a great accomplishment.
    Congratulations sir.

The IH is in great shape too. The soil was very gentle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=8248.msg93584#msg93584 date=1324344762
    The IH is in great shape too. The soil was very gentle on it.
    Thanks, Joe! It's definitely worn, but it did clean up rather well. (Although I still need to work on my photography!)
    Name:  Indian-Head-1218.jpg
Size:  54.2 KB
    Last edited by Tony Two-Cent; 09-18-2017 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=8248.msg93595#msg93595 date=1324350197
    Thanks, Joe! It's definitely worn, but it did clean up rather well. (Although I still need to work on my photography!)
    She's worn for sure... but you gotta love when the soil is nice to them. By the way, your photography looks great to me.