Thread: New England Experience: Cellar Holes with Dan Dave and Todd "Perfect Hunt"

New England Experience: Cellar Holes with Dan Dave and Todd "Perfect Hunt"

Thanks again Dave, Todd, and Dan for inviting me for to this great adventure and experience. We got to the spot at 7am and started hiking to the hole. The first site took about an hour to get to and it had been hit hard in the past. We all pulled a few buttons and Dave pulled out this 1630s Narragansett Indian point which is so cool! Pre dates the site we were at. I got a blowhole 1760s two piece button that broke when I put it in my pouch and then I dropped it and it broke more oh well . Todd pulled a tongue off a shoe buckle too. The next site we went to was by far the best for everyone. Right off the bat Dan pulled a Classic Head Large Cent and a gorgeous 1825 capped bust dime in beautiful condition from the same hole in the road. I get a very odd pewter medal that I need to still clean. Then I got a spill of 3 rifleman buttons from the War of 1812 1st regiment with a trumpet on them... from the same coat. I don't know exactly what they are called but they are rare early military buttons. I pulled out two script Light Artillery buttons with stars going around and a convex eagle button?? as well. 6 early militaries in one hunt ... unreal. Dave got a spill of a 1 reale and two matron heads right near where Dan got his spill... Todd got a clipped Largie dated 1823 or 1828. Everyone got a few military buttons at this site. This was the best site of the day everyone got really lucky. Eventually the finds started dying off and we hiked to the next site. I finally pulled out my coin for the day which was a very toasty 1818 matron. I also pulled a couple buttons and a complete 1770s shoe buckle 9" deep that Todd and Dave previously missed Dave got a KG copper from 1777 at this site and Todd got a buffalo with no date We all had a great day of hunting cellars and everyone had lots of fun and all found great finds!!! I still
    need to clean up a pewter metal I found but I'm scared to clean it. Thanks again guys . I appreciate the time took researching these sites. It was a pleasure meeting you guys and getting to detect with you... Let's do it again in December?
    P.S. I haven't cleaned the military buttons yet because I'm too scared too.

GL and HH!

< Isaac >
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-30-2014 at 07:46 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

great pictures Issac! don't wait on cleaning that pewter piece.time is of the essence.just do it and fast.the longer ya wait the more it's gonna deteriorate.clean it up and get it sealed fast.trust me! ya made us veteran hunters look like rookies today.mind blowing how many targets were still at these sites .hope ya have a safe trip back and i hope you saved us some pulled pork!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

those "bugle" buttons are 1st Regimental rifleman buttons from about 1816 to 1821 , the two scripted (small L A) with stars around ones are Light Artillery buttons from 1808 to 1821 . great looking "complete" shoe buckle too

Issac it was great to meet you and your dad , you had a phenomenal day young man . Well done
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

You get an Official Done Good young man being a member of such a great group and more than held your own!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Big Gratz to you Isaac, you had an outstanding day! What a great bunch of military buttons and like I said yesterday, buttons like that are much better than a toasty copper You should also thank your Dad for being a great father, I don't know many Dad's that would ruff it in the bush all day espicailly with 3 nut jobs like the cellar dweller crew
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    great pictures Issac! don't wait on cleaning that pewter piece.time is of the essence.just do it and fast.the longer ya wait the more it's gonna deteriorate.clean it up and get it sealed fast.trust me! ya made us veteran hunters look like rookies today.mind blowing how many targets were still at these sites .hope ya have a safe trip back and i hope you saved us some pulled pork!
    I'll try my best to clean it tonight or tomorrow using Dan's cleaning methods. Thanks Dave, let's do it again in December.
    Quote Originally Posted by del View Post
    those "bugle" buttons are 1st Regimental rifleman buttons from about 1816 to 1821 , the two scripted (small L A) with stars around ones are Light Artillery buttons from 1808 to 1821 . great looking "complete" shoe buckle too

Issac it was great to meet you and your dad , you had a phenomenal day young man . Well done
    Dan, it was great meeting you and being able to do some hunting with you. Thank you for all the information on how to clean my finds and the types of buttons I found. When I clean everything up I'll post pictures for you guys, then you can put it up on the banner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bell-Two View Post
    You get an Official Done Good young man being a member of such a great group and more than held your own!
    Thank you Bell-Two for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Big Gratz to you Isaac, you had an outstanding day! What a great bunch of military buttons and like I said yesterday, buttons like that are much better than a toasty copper You should also thank your Dad for being a great father, I don't know many Dad's that would ruff it in the bush all day espicailly with 3 nut jobs like the cellar dweller crew
    Thank you Todd. You're right, coppers don't have beauty like the relics do. My father is great, I'm very thankful to have him as a father... and that's funny let's do it again sometime.
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-30-2014 at 07:47 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

I just rubbed off the loose dirt from the buttons with a toothbrush and man do these look nice!!! The only one without a shank is the one on the bottom right that's not holding up as well as the other ones. I'm thrilled!!!

I <3 colonial relics!

OMG!!!!! I just realized my eagle button has an "A" in it!!! Just like Dan's!!! How much luckier can I be?!?!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Awesome finds for sure

they look great Isaac , you did a great job . the natural patina looks the best on old buttons unless they have silver or gold gilt on them . these were most likely just polished brass or copper alloy with no gilt. do any of them have any kind of back marks or makers names ??

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    OMG!!!!! I just realized my eagle button has an "A" in it!!! Just like Dan's!!! How much luckier can I be?!?!
    Agreed it looks like the same type used from 1821 to about 1834
    Last edited by del; 08-30-2014 at 10:58 PM.
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Memorable hunt for sure. Enjoyed the pics and nice relics.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

WTG on those amazing Finds! I'd take those buttons over a coin any day!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Very very nice buckle ! I love the buttons too. Congrats !

Veteran Member
    Very impressive hunt. Hope you get back there to find more stuff.

waiting on the pewter campaign medal pics.please tell me you cleaned and sealed it by now
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Wow, what an excellent variety of finds. Great Job
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    waiting on the pewter campaign medal pics.please tell me you cleaned and sealed it by now
    Look at your PM and my newest thread... I did the best I could to clean it up.
    Last edited by Isaac; 08-31-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    I <3 colonial relics!

Quote Originally Posted by fsa46 View Post
    Memorable hunt for sure. Enjoyed the pics and nice relics.
    Thank you FSA46!

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG on those amazing Finds! I'd take those buttons over a coin any day!
    I would too! My toasty matron I dug is no match for these beauties. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Taltahull View Post
    Very very nice buckle ! I love the buttons too. Congrats !
    Quote Originally Posted by zrickkid View Post
    Very impressive hunt. Hope you get back there to find more stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digger Don View Post
    Wow, what an excellent variety of finds. Great Job
    Thanks guys!!!
    I <3 colonial relics!

Very cool !
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Very cool !