Lodge Scent
Well-known member
By brown gold, I mean Hen of the Woods mushrooms (maitake). They are only around for a few weeks and only at this time of year and only found at the base of oak trees, but they are worth looking for. The are my favorite of all mushrooms. I was detecting on the outside of the stone walls at a worn out site and managed to to find a toasty CT copper. First CT that I have found in a few years. As I am filling in the hole I look to my left and about 5 feet away was an oak with several Hens around its base. Another 5 feet from that tree was another oak with several Hens. I managed to squeeze 3 into my backpack and I fashioned a sling out of my shirt for the other 3 Hens for the 45 minute hike back to my car. My wife sauteed one up with supper and it was good eating.
Jeff



Jeff


