Thread: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Threaded View

Re: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Holy cow there are some amazing finds in this thread! I can only post so many green with envy emoticons! lol

I had a pretty good year for what I consider amazing finds, but if I have to pick two I'll go with the two that are the most unique... My honorable mentions would be a beat up 1857 trime, a pristine 1865 two center, a worn 1835 dime, an 1896 S barber dime, and several very nice gold rings. I was tickled pink that a few of these even made the 2013 calendar!

The first of my two best is a perfume locket which according to the marks was made Birmingham, England in 1810. It is gold filled, silver, and gold plate. It's dented and missing a front cover but in my mind it is one amazing find. I would pay all kinds of money to know it's full history and learn how it wound up in the dirt. Researching this item and understanding how it was used and the history of such things was a great deal of fun.

My second would be a 14k Creed crucifix. What makes this one so amazing to me is that a few years ago I dug the same item except in sterling. The sterling version is one of my best detecting stories (posted here: metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=38427 ) so to find the exact same item in 14k really blew my mind. Coincidences and luck and stories like this are some of the best parts of detecting for me.

Here's hoping we all dig some more amazing keepers in 2013!

EDIT: Apologies for missing the part about two pics max.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent