Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1786 Spanish 2 Reale - 1909 Barber Quarter - Coppers

1786 Spanish 2 Reale - 1909 Barber Quarter - Coppers

This afternoon I met up with Lee, one of our forum members, to hit a site or two. I had been detecting for about 90 minutes when Lee arrived. During that time I had picked up three coppers and two Indian Head cents. The coppers are in bad shape though I can make out enough details on one of them. It's a Massachusetts copper.

The plan had been to detect elsewhere, so we took off heading out to a nearby park where we detected for a while. The park was yielding nothing but clad coins however. I'm sure there are old coins there, but it will take some time and effort to find them. We then decided to head back to the site where I found the coppers and detected there for the remainder of the time. Not long after starting I picked up my first silver, a 1909 Barber quarter.

After a while I managed to dig up two more silver coins, Barber dimes, dated 1893 and 1908. Lee had to leave by then but I kept detecting for a short while longer. Then just as it was almost time to leave I picked up a deep sounding but very faint signal. After checking it from several angles the signal was now coming in a bit stronger. I knew it was a good target. Likely a copper, but hopefully silver, is what I was thinking. I cut a plug and dug some soil, but at the eight to nine inch mark the probe failed to give a signal. The target had to be deeper I was sure. I dug several more inches and now I could make out a somewhat strong signal. I dug out more soil and at about the 12 to 13 inch mark the probe was singing! I dug in a bit more and dropped the soil on the towel, and here is what I saw.

It's a beautiful 1786 Spanish 2 Reale!

Here are the four silver coins I dug up.

These are finds from a short hunt this past Sunday, two corroded coppers, a few wheat cents, and a 1899 Indian Head cent.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Re: 1786 Spanish 2 Reale - 1909 Barber Quarter - Coppers

Awesome finds Angel and that 2 Reale is in outrageously good shape .

OMG!! Superb hunt!!
    Metal Detector: Teknetics Omega 8000

The two reale is in super shape, congrats on a great find from deep down under! The other stuff is amazing as well!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

Oh my... the 2 Reale is a top shelf beauty.
    I'll bet you were quite surprised and excited when you first caught glimpse of her. An amazing find Angel.

Congrats on the Coppers and other silver too... especially the Barber Q. That's an incredible picture of the silver.
    All Barbers and a Spanish.

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel link=topic=9923.msg110798#msg110798 date=1336183886
    but at the eight to nine inch mark the probe failed to give a signal. The target had to be deeper I was sure.
    At eight/nine inches without a probe signal... I'd be expecting a nail in the side of the hole somewhere.

Veteran Member

Amazing find Angel

And that, my friends, is why this is such an enjoyable hobby! The possibility of making finds like that! An incredible day, even without the 2 Reales.

But with the 2 Reales? Mind blowing! What a spectacular coin!

So, is Lee running out to buy an E-Trac?

great hunt as usual for you nice looking barbers and the reale would be something that we would all love to find out here in ill it would be a little difficult its always enjoyable to veiw your finds another great hunt congrats on all you finds dennis

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by jkress link=topic=9923.msg110815#msg110815 date=1336192228
    At eight/nine inches without a probe signal... I'd be expecting a nail in the side of the hole somewhere.
    Ah, yes! The pesky square nails. A null while probing would have alerted me to iron. But even then I would keep digging down deeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Two-Cent link=topic=9923.msg110820#msg110820 date=1336211869
    So, is Lee running out to buy an E-Trac?

Actually, Lee has been doing quite well with his current machine. It was fun detecting with him. He is a great guy. I'm sure I will be detecting with him again. He has a beautiful house that was built in the 1700's. The backyard is very nice too.

amazing 2 reale!

Your Sir are to MDing what Paganini was to the violin, what Isaac Newton was to sitting under trees, what Da Vinci was to everything else, what I am to hyperbole
    but...ummm....you're pretty good at this.
    You ever get skunked like mere mortals?
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Quote Originally Posted by charlives link=topic=9923.msg110831#msg110831 date=1336219394
    Your Sir are to MDing what Paganini was to the violin, what Isaac Newton was to sitting under trees, what Da Vinci was to everything else, what I am to hyperbole
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by charlives link=topic=9923.msg110831#msg110831 date=1336219394
    but...ummm....you're pretty good at this.
    You ever get skunked like mere mortals?
    Thanks Drew. I'm just an experienced detectorist. Nothing more. So yes, I do have my days like everyone else.

un.......reale......ha ha ha , lads this guy is like my hero..it used to be isambard kingdom brunnel than when i came over to this country it changed to ben franklin and now its changed again.........angel metal detecting bloke !!!!
    it was an education watching this man work a very small spot and to extract so many great coins...just fantastic !!!!.
    he gave me some great advise to tune your brain to ignore the shallow signals and i did as he said , straight away a deep old button !!!!! it works !!!!!.
    angel your a gentleman and a scholar sir and i bow down to your prowess when it comes to this great hobby.
    after those few hours i find myself with renewed vigor to go out there and find more stuff.
    the barber quarter just amazing , the dimes just wow , and the reale ?..........well its just as well i had left by that stage coz the thought of mugging you for it would prolly of crossed my mind....ha ha ha '
    mate, once again thank you soooo much for going out with me and teaching me so much.

and yes tony ..... at this point i would chop off a leg for an e track , namely angels e track..

Angel, I have learned to expect nothing more but great great finds from you. It has took me some time to realize that like most of us, this is not a little experience and a lot of luck. You are truly an experienced metal detectorist. Which is what we should all strive far. What in the world do you do with all your finds? Do you save them or maybe sell some off? You must have a room just for them. Awesome! Congrats on some awesome sweet finds as always!
    2013 28 Silvers
    2014 6 Silvers, 10 Wheats
    Oldest coin 1899 Barber Quarter
    Fisher F75 LTD, Garrett ProPointer, Springfield 1911
    “Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero”……HORACE

Quote Originally Posted by lee link=topic=9923.msg110837#msg110837 date=1336227339
    un.......reale......ha ha ha , lads this guy is like my hero..it used to be isambard kingdom brunnel than when i came over to this country it changed to ben franklin and now its changed again.........angel metal detecting bloke !!!!
    it was an education watching this man work a very small spot and to extract so many great coins...just fantastic !!!!.
    he gave me some great advise to tune your brain to ignore the shallow signals and i did as he said , straight away a deep old button !!!!! it works !!!!!.
    angel your a gentleman and a scholar sir and i bow down to your prowess when it comes to this great hobby.
    after those few hours i find myself with renewed vigor to go out there and find more stuff.
    the barber quarter just amazing , the dimes just wow , and the reale ?..........well its just as well i had left by that stage coz the thought of mugging you for it would prolly of crossed my mind....ha ha ha '
    mate, once again thank you soooo much for going out with me and teaching me so much.
    Thank you for the kind words Lee! It was great to meet up with you again, and this time to go detecting together.

Quote Originally Posted by lee link=topic=9923.msg110837#msg110837 date=1336227339
    ..........well its just as well i had left by that stage coz the thought of mugging you for it would prolly of crossed my mind....ha ha ha
    I keep picturing this in my mind. Too funny. Hopefully we can get together again sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CODY link=topic=9923.msg110850#msg110850 date=1336237201
    Angel, I have learned to expect nothing more but great great finds from you. It has took me some time to realize that like most of us, this is not a little experience and a lot of luck. You are truly an experienced metal detectorist. Which is what we should all strive far. What in the world do you do with all your finds? Do you save them or maybe sell some off? You must have a room just for them. Awesome! Congrats on some awesome sweet finds as always!
    Thanks Cody! That was an exciting hunt for sure. Other than Roosevelt dimes and Washington quarters, I keep my finds, though I may start selling a few of the older coins now and then. It's just hard to part with them.

Once again a fantastic hunt. as much as I love Barbers and LC's that 2 reale is really great looking. Huge congrats on all your keepers.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Mass Copper & 2 Reale...

AMAAAAAZING !!

Absolutely incredible finds Angel, makes me want to buy an ETrac and move to the east coast....
    2014- Silver=16 Wheats=34 Buffalo=2

Quote Originally Posted by tech125 link=topic=9923.msg110907#msg110907 date=1336268002
    Absolutely incredible finds Angel, makes me want to buy an ETrac and move to the east coast....
    Buying an E-Trac and moving to the east coast won't do it. Plenty of people who live in the east coast have E-Tracs.

That is a fabulous 2 reale Angel, and even more so at the depth that you dug it. The reason it was still there is that no one else was able to find it. That kind of depth is incredible! Congratulations
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250