Thread: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Threaded View

Re: Thread Showcasing Member's Two best Finds of 2012

Nice Finds everyone! 2012 was a great year!!
    Though not in the greatest condition, I found these two Shillings on the surface at the bottom of an eroding hillside, I'm convinced they came from a cache buried beneath the new fill and landscaping from the house at the top of the hill built in the '70s.
    Have used a gpx on the prop looking for the stash. If there, it is deep.
    Anyway, # 1 is a Noe-1 Pine, fairly common for Mass Silver, judging by the state of the classic 'Fish' die break around the date, this was likely one of the last Noe-1s Struck,

an example showing earlier die state included.

#2 is a Noe-3 Oak, the only variety with 'New England' starting at 2'oclock, this is an R-6 rarity coin with fewer than 30 known examples.

I'm gonna add a third. Undated 400 Reis of Johannes IV Portugal, They were struck between 1640-1654. The dots in the arms of the cross are a Lisbon mintmark.
    (also known as a 'Cruzado', The next series of Cruzados were smaller and struck in gold) This may be a unique coin, there are a few others, all revalued by the next King Alphonse and countermarked 500 Reis. If you had these coins back then, you would certainly want 500 reis rather than the original 400, this is why most were revalued. This particular specimen must have left Portugal prior to the revaluation. Been looking since I found it and find no auction records or any records at all of this issue without the 'SOO' revaluation mark, If anyone can find one, please let me know.
    [img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GtDkqCNs68g/UNhU9_qzWTI/AAAAAAAABOE/kOyjw1miz1o/w300-h288-no/NH+FINDS+01-26+015+copy.jpg[img]

A revalued example:
    [/img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/GbEHGyy03W8sPO5QN6FlKcstz28hYWkN_41ZEEKHns8=w189-h204-p-no[/img]

Thanks for looking & HH all, Herbie.
    Attached Images Attached Images