Thread: Friday's hunt w/Coinnut

Friday's hunt w/Coinnut

Friday George picked me up at 7am and we decided to go back to where i found the 1832 capped bust dime . we've been at this place a few times since then and the finds are definately dwindling but George is stronger willed then the mountain laurel he did better than me there . my best there was the old brass key after about 5 hours i called him up to tell him i was headed down the road to another site , he said he was working up the road (opposite direction) and that he would be there in a bit . once there i settled into a field that i've hit part of before but it seemed a bit more opened up this time of year and after about ten minutes i had a very low but deep target . 6 inches later i was looking at an 1868 shield nickle , ten minutes after that i had a target that i'v not heard in a while a large copper tone by this time i'm convinced its another oxknob because it screamed but it was a copper and 1843 "braided hair" . by this time i called George and asked him " he where you at ?? " to which he replied "i'm almost there (pause) why what did you find now??" I told him a shield nickle and a copper and if you don't hurry up i'll find all the coins in this field before you get here . the rest of the day was pretty quiet except for a "4-hole" button but i did squeak out one last copper . it rang out on the dfx as an Indian head penny +58 but i was thinking it was a rifle shell casing because it was so shallow of a target at only 2.5 inches but i dig these targets too. i was very shocked to see a thin disk for a moment , i was sure it was a large button without a shank (and because of the low vdi) but soon read part of the word "auctori" and knew it was a state copper. George soon seen the copper and ran it under his coil and said the same thing (rang up like indian or zincoln) , i was thinking it was maybe a counterfiet coin.

when i removed the dirt and verdigris it was very grean just like a very pretty colored indian we sometimes find.

since then i've had it varified by a few great guys as a Miller 37.6-B. an extremely rare type.

then Mr. Phillip L. Mossman
    colonial coin collector and author of "Money of the American Colonies and Confederation" confirmed it as indeed that variety and not it bad shape either.

heres one that sold at Stacks auction house last January 2012
    https://stacksbowers.com/Auctions/Au...x?LotID=305725

Being an extremely rare variety (5 to 8 "known") is incredible but because it might be a debased metal in composition definately make it more unique than the rest of them . so far no known connecticut coppers are any other metal other than copper but there are a few people that have to chime in with more info.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Yow! A rare bird indeed Dan. It's easy on the eyes too! Congrats on a super find
    Oldest find: 5,000 year old copper spearhead
    Oldest coin: 1699 William III halfpenny
    Purdiest coin: 1832 Capped Bust quarter
    Coolest find: USA button with blue threads still on shank

"He who would search for pearls must dive below."

Quote Originally Posted by Lodge Scent View Post
    Yow! A rare bird indeed Dan. It's easy on the eyes too! Congrats on a super find
    thanks Jeff , Don inSJ on t-net
    said it could be the rarest Connecticut thats ever been posted over there . he and a few others know coppers better than most so when i'm not sure on a type or want a second opinion they have some great connections .

Wow Dan.... that is the find of a lifetime!
    Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

That's very exciting Dan. The color is rich and I'd guess very desirable. Was that at the place we were at a few weeks ago? Congrats on an awesome hunt!
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

wow! holy smokes! never even heard of that? great shape too! that surely should make the banner over there at tnet! jeff of PA is gonna have to bite the bullet on this one!
    huge congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Outstanding!
    I love seeing all the cool stuff you guys have under your feet. I'm so jealous.
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Very nice bunch of finds

WOW Dan!! What a fantastic find! Last one sold for 25K at auction? SWEET!!! BTW...can I borrow a few bucks?
    Having fun is what it is all about!

What a nice coin Dan. You are the king of rare copper finds. First that Fugio, and now a Connecticut. You did want to go to that site every time we walked by it Great hunt.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Quote Originally Posted by OxShoeDrew View Post
    That's very exciting Dan. The color is rich and I'd guess very desirable. Was that at the place we were at a few weeks ago? Congrats on an awesome hunt!
    Drew it was just down the road , thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    wow! holy smokes! never even heard of that? great shape too! that surely should make the banner over there at tnet! jeff of PA is gonna have to bite the bullet on this one!
    huge congrats!
    Dave , i really couldn't care less that banner is so clicky over there it isn't funny and definately not why i posted it over there , thanks man.

Quote Originally Posted by Longhair View Post
    Outstanding!
    I love seeing all the cool stuff you guys have under your feet. I'm so jealous.
    thanks you very much Longhair

Quote Originally Posted by giant056 View Post
    Very nice bunch of finds
    Thanks Larry

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    WOW Dan!! What a fantastic find! Last one sold for 25K at auction? SWEET!!! BTW...can I borrow a few bucks?
    yeah that surprised a lot of people including myself , thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    What a nice coin Dan. You are the king of rare copper finds. First that Fugio, and now a Connecticut. You did want to go to that site every time we walked by it Great hunt.
    dude i'm leaving the camera home more often , seems i do better with out it
    hey its been about a year of more since my last Connecticut
    i was more than due for a good one Mike ain't getting that coil back

Congrats Dan on a find that is beyond description. What an awesome find.

Minelab E-trac; CTX 3030

Nice coin day for you Dan. Gratz on the rare variety Conn. Whats with the defects on it? Is that a dye error or was hit by a plow?
    Visit my metal detecting you tube channel to watch some of my digs.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/thiltzy1?feature=mhee

WTG Dan! You scored BIG time!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

Quote Originally Posted by bob_e99 View Post
    Congrats Dan on a find that is beyond description. What an awesome find.

thanks Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Thiltzy View Post
    Nice coin day for you Dan. Gratz on the rare variety Conn. Whats with the defects on it? Is that a dye error or was hit by a plow?
    Todd what you see is distortion from swelling and cracks from a very bad die
    that was blowing out

Quote Originally Posted by The Rebel View Post
    WTG Dan! You scored BIG time!
    thanks you very much Roger

What a great find Dan! Congrats!!

Congratulations on an awesome find my friend.
    MXT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, 5.3 & and 950 coils, Sun Ray Pro Gold HP, Excalibur , 1000 coil, 2, Whites Dual Field PIs, Sovereign GT

Oldest Silver: 17?2 Half Reale

Oldest Coins: 1723 Halfpenny ,1729- ? KG 2rd Half Penny, 1786 Connecticut Copper, 1787 Fugio.

11@ 1807,8 Reale Counterfeit Cache

Huge congrats on the rare Connecticut copper, Dan! It is a real beauty to behold!

Holy cow, that one in the Stack's Bowers auction sold for over $25,000!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg