I only had a little while to hunt this weekend, so I stayed close to home to make the most of it. I just bought the 17" coil for the CTX and it has been good to me when I used it on the Pequot hunts. This is my first try with it at a couple of cellar holes close to home that have been pretty well worked over. I must say the 17" coil picks the targets out nicely in the wide open field areas. I wasn't expecting much at these sites, but on the path I got my first good coin target, a 1903 Barber Dime. If that is all I would find, I would be happy for the hunt. But I eventually got a deep copper reading and pulled a toasted copper at 8". About an hour before the hunt was over I got another copper/silver reading at 6" and out pops a silver disk. I noticed it was a bit bigger than a dime, but couldn't tell what it was. It could be Spanish or another foreign coin. I continued hunting and then called it a day. A couple of 22's, shotgun shells, nails and other scrap rounded out the hunt. When I got home, I realized the silver coin had that cement like grit stuck to it, so I cleaned it gently with running water and a soft tooth brush. It revealed a Capped Bust Dime But the date threw me for a loop, as it was an 1809 (just missed the Draped Bust Dime series by 2 years). I was a bit bummed since Draped Bust silver is very hard to come by over here, but when I looked at the Redbook for that year, I found out it was the first year of the series and only had a mintage of 51,065. Looking at the coin (minus the encrustation) it appears to be XF or maybe even a bit better. If I can get it cleaned without ruining the patina, it will be a very valuable coin. I was not bummed anymore So far I am loving this coil.

Name:  001.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  51.6 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  53.7 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  66.9 KB