Thread: Field permission = things that begin with the letter B - 12/27

Field permission = things that begin with the letter B - 12/27

Couldn't ask for much nicer weather for late December, except for 4 more hours of sunlight maybe. Hope everyone took advantage of it.

So, driving home from work yesterday I see a couple cars on a retired farm field that's on my hot sheet for permissions next year. I've noticed a few homemade "no trespassing" signs appear very recently as well. So I pulled in and talked with the land owner. I guess he's getting ready to put up a house (doesn't speak English so well), so I asked if he'd mind if I hit the place this weekend. Permission granted, no more parks for 2014!

Had some stuff to do this morning, but got there about 10:30, said hi to the owner for a few and got started. Don't think I got more than 30 feet before I got my first signal @ 50. Button #1. Button #2 came maybe 2 minutes later. The field is kinda long and narrow, so all I was doing was walking a long straight line to get a feel for it. Button #3 came maybe 5 or 10 minutes later. Got a broken suspender clip a while later, but getting obvious that it was time to turn around. Not much until I got back in the area where I started, and got a good digging signal. Button #4. Ad not long after that came button #5.

Got a break from the button train with my first bale/bag seal. How common are these in CT? I don't recall seeing them in any reports. I'll have to find a site to try and identify it. I've got a couple good pics of it below.
    Right after the bag/bale seal, I got a 2-coin spill. 1906 Barber in great shape, and a 1906 Indian. Button #6 came shortly after that, and then it slowed way down. The next 3 hours resulted in a button fragment, clad dime, and more of the lead chunks & slag I was digging all day too. There wasn't much in the way of junk, so if it made a decent tone, up it came.

Called it quits some time after 4. Probably be back tomorrow even though it got real quiet during the 2'nd half of my hunt today. Real happy with my finds. Probably doubled my button count for the year. All except the big dandy and the broken one have some sort of claims to double gilt, extra strong, best, or treble. The last has what looks like a flower pot ornamentation on the face.

Thanks for reading and on with the pics!
    Name:  BF1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  88.7 KB
    Name:  BF2.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  72.2 KB
    Name:  BF3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  86.9 KB
    Name:  BF4.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  67.0 KB
    Name:  BF5.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  92.1 KB
    Name:  BF6.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  101.0 KB
    Name:  BF7.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  115.4 KB
    Name:  BF8.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  116.6 KB
    Name:  BF9.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  114.0 KB
    Name:  BF11.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  71.7 KB
    Name:  BF12.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  68.7 KB
    Name:  BF13.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  70.4 KB
    Name:  BF14.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  85.9 KB
    Last edited by Trooper Bri; 12-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.
    Slow digging is better than no digging.
    Whites V3i, MXT, Garrett Pro Pointer, Sampson 31" T-handle shovel.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Wow, you must have a ball digging all those buttons, and that Barber is sweet as well.
    Good luck tomorrow, I hope the weather holds for you.
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Very nice finds. Those fields can surely be productive. Congrats and good luck tomorrow!

John
    Vermont relic hunting, one swing at a time.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG2...OLib30A/videos

nice early buttons,take advantage and hit it hard!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Looks like a great site! Good job on the Indian Head and Barber Dime! Surely there are some coins there that are as old as the buttons.

I can't say about lead bag seals in CT but we find them here in Illinois on occasion. In fact, I found one yesterday but it is somewhat mangled.

I hope you able to get back out there in that field and find some more goodies!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 415 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 124 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 405 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 89 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

The camera didn't pick up the gilt on that button. I think it said treble gilt and now I can see the seal came from Quincy, NY. I thought it said indicatder (spelled weird) now I think it says syndicat. I thought the IH had a 7 in last digit.

Nice hunting Brian. Don't you just love a field....
    Tomorrow try walking east to west if you went north to south today, if you get my drift. Some very nice finds today and I hope tomorrows hunt is as good.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

I'll take a better pic of that triple gilt/orange button Jim. The fertilizer wasn't very nice to the details on most of them, but the face of that button has what looks like a thick gilt ring band around the edge that saved itself on maybe half.

And I am liking fields Al. This place is just 6 acres surprisingly. With all the gilt buttons, I had been really hoping to find a copper or something, but nothing yet. The other fields near by are quite bigger, but still used. It's a permission I'm going to pursue soon, and get a group hunt out there for us.
    AD members detected with: del, OxShoeDrew, RobW, Massdirtfisher, Mango Ave, Lee, chrisinct, aloldstuff, HEAVYMETALNUT, Thiltzy

Love all the buttons and the Barber/Indian Spill great hunt
    Oldest Coin - 1830 Large Cent
    Oldest Silver - 1898 Barber Dime

Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro Pointer

Very nice finds and good thinking on getting permission when you saw him out there! alotofoldstuff gave good advice on hitting different angle I find that is a good way to get targets that are missed the first time. Beautiful Bounty of Bodacious Buckets of Binds....err finds!
    Psalms 24:1 ¶ The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains...But God shares with us who search!
    Member Dayton Diggers CTX 3030- Minelab E-Trac

click here to view my finds album

Love digging Barbers. Excellent finds and congratulations.

That sounds like a great place to spend some time. Look forward to seeing the "orange" button a little better.
    Primary machine= Teknetics T2

2016 Totals
    Oldest Coin= 1920 Wheat Cent
    Silver Coins= 0
    Rings= 1

WTG on all of your finds!
    Minelab Manticore / SPECTRA V3i, Pro-Pointer II. Lesche Digger.
    Oldest Copper: 1694 William & Mary Halfpenny. Oldest Silver: 1663 1-Reale
    Cob.

My Album

That's my favorite one GA1dad. Wish I had found it in the woods instead of a field. Here's some better pics.

Name:  TG3.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  115.5 KB
    Name:  TG4.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  118.9 KB

I've also decided to monkey with vids. Yesterday's hunt was my 1'st using just my Galaxy S5 (royal PITA). Here's a link to the roundup. There's a full vid as well, but some of the clips are vertical for some reason.

I bet you'll find some coppers there...keep at it until they start digging the foundation....then hit it some more
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Nice work securing the permission & nice job on the hunt. Keep hitting that field while you can. There's got to be a copper or two in there. I have found one bale seal this year- New York New Haven & Hartford Rail Road.