Quote Originally Posted by MartinL link=topic=6462.msg76288#msg76288 date=1311715630
Why own more than maybe 2 detectors? You normally get real good at using one primary detector after getting ised to the hobby...usually after the first cheapy detector you try, then buying the MAIN detector. Beyond that, aren't we just diluting our keen knowledge of how to read the main detector we got used to back then?

Sure, I can easily see owning many of these if the hobby has paid for itself already. That isn't the case with a lot of hunters though. I guess I don't see the purpose in owning various detectors, while one that one main unit will always get you to the treasure . Maybe it's like ladies buying shoes to some people.

I have 2 machines. First one got me hooked, the V3i INVESTED my money and I don't need another one. I just don't get it.

martin

It's like any other hobby, they keep coming out with newer, better models, and also we upgrade ($300 to $600 to $1000 to $2000) and you just don't want to get rid of your sweetheart that's been so good to you, and that's your primary back up for if your new sweetheart has to go to the shop (right Al?) then your previous back up isn't worth anything, so you just hang onto it...like all of that other stuff in your attic and garage. Also several of us do different types of detecting and some units are better for different types, such as water detecting.

I have plans to hang my retired detectors on my conference room wall, and put my finds in a display case there....then when clients come in,m they see my stuff, start a conversation, which opens the door to me getting to detect their land!