Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm sooo new that I havent bought the detector yet!!!

I'm sooo new that I havent bought the detector yet!!!

Hey guys. I have decided to finally get a detector and start exploring this great country of ours! When I was a wee lad, a friend of the family would bring his detector over from time to time. I always went with "Uncle Frenchy" when he'd go out with his machine. Now that I'm older, I'd like to do some exploring of my own. I live in Michigan, and history has always been one of my favorite subjects. I'm trying to find French Indian war sites and local ghost towns through research. I've been pouring over info about which machine would work best for me. I have family that live in Tennessee and Virginia, so a decent relic machine would be nice. My sister lives in Nevada, and my step-dad lives in Prescott Valley, Arizona, so a gold machine would be nice...and my father lives in Connecticut, well, I guess I need a good all-around machine! So, I was looking at a White MXT Pro. What do you guys think? I know its a hard thing to ask...favorite machines are like asking about favorite rock bands. People get passionate about the things that they love. I have a local dealer who owns a Whites DFX and a MXT Pro, and he loves them both. I think the MXT Pro looks like its easy enough and good enough for a newbie to use for a long time. Any Michigan guys here with some tips? I can't wait for Spring!!!

Hey welcome aboard Ole # 7. I think the MXT Pro is an excellent choice for the areas you are describing. It is an excellent relic machines and handles a wide variety of tough soils. Learn it well and you will do great with it. Can't wait to see what you find!!
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Welcome to the hobby and the site! Sounds like you've got some nice potential places to detect once you get your machine. Once you choose, let us know what you got.
    Land of Two Seasons - Snow and Fire Danger.

Howdy from another in The Mitten!
    The Best That You Know Is The Best That You've Had

Welcome and glad to read that you are finally gonna take the plunge. This hobby is great. You never know what you'll find. Better yet, how did that item get there. Do a lot of reading about different detectors and watch youtube videos. Hope to see some of your finds posted here.
    V3i- Prism IV- Pro Pointer
    2020 GOAL: Any Flowing Hair coin

TOTAL 100 YEAR OLD COINS - -280
    2020:
    Silver: 11

Oldest U.S. Copper - 1795 Liberty Cap
    Oldest U.S. Silver - 1829 Capped Bust Dime extra large 10C
    Click here to view my album

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.

You picked a great forum to join,, the people here are very knowledgeable and helpful
    Be prepared to give up a lot of your free time, once you start swinging, YOUR HOOKED
    Oldest Coin: 1699 William III Halfpenny

Silver 5
    Indian 3, Buff 1, V Nik 1, Rosie 2, Barber Dime, SLQ 1, barber qtr 1,

YT Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoU...FVGumMQ/videos

Welcome from Illinois!

Best of luck choosing a detector and entering the hobby. I've never owned an MXT but many people seem to have success with them.

Glad you joined the forum!
    Lifetime totals:
    10 Large Cents, 420 Indian Heads, 2 Two Cent Pieces, 1 Capped Bust Half Dime, 1 Seated Half Dime, 10 Shield Nickels, 68 V Nickels, 125 Buffalo Nickels, 31 War Nickels, 16 Seated Dimes, 131 Barber Dimes, 406 Mercury Dimes, 249 Rosies, 4 Seated Quarters, 18 Barber Quarters, 20 Standing Liberty Quarters, 90 Silver Washingtons, 1 Seated Half, 3 Barber Halves, 16 Walking Liberty Halves

YouTube Channel: Tony Two-Cent https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmz...RlHTBIU42bUORg

Thanks for the welcomes, guys!!! I'll let you know when I'm planning a trip to Ct. this spring. Maybe I could meet a few of you!!!

Ole # 7 it's too bad you aren't in Southwestern Michigan, I take you out and let you try out my MXT, it's now my backup detector but anytime I go detecting on someones property I'll bring it along cause it's a very easy detector to use and everyone that's used it started finding stuff remarkably fast. It sounds to me that you're after a good detector that's good for relics, coins and jewelry, the MXT fits the bill and is a very reliable detector, mine has been trouble free except I did replace a pinpoint switch a few years after I bought it which was very easy and the local dealer even gave me one for it. You can't go wrong because Whites is really fantastic when it comes to customer service and you're never going to get better service from anyone else. I frequented the Whites forum up till recently but have stopped posting there cause I have a beef with one of the moderators and only him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole # 7 View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes, guys!!! I'll let you know when I'm planning a trip to Ct. this spring. Maybe I could meet a few of you!!!

Give us some advance warning and we can get some people together. From the looks of things here recently, spring may not come until summer

I was watching Thiltzys vids from the Ct./New England area and it got me so excited that I have to plan a trip to visit my Dad!!! (He lives in Ct., around the Ashford/Mansfield area) There are MILES of stone walls around my dads house. I'm sure pops would love a visit!!!! Thanks for the offer, giant056. I don't mind traveling to check things out. When I get my MXT Pro (maybe the All Pro?) we'll meet up somewhere. Any other Michi-ganders open to a spring hunt?

I was watching Thiltzys vids from the Ct./New England area and it got me so excited that I have to plan a trip to visit my Dad!!! (He lives in Ct., around the Ashford/Mansfield area) There are MILES of stone walls around my dads house. I'm sure pops would love a visit!!!! Thanks for the offer, giant056. I don't mind traveling to check things out. When I get my MXT Pro (maybe the All Pro?) we'll meet up somewhere. Any other Michi-ganders open to a spring hunt?

Todd (Thiltzy) is a good guy and a good Detectorist. We know the Ashford area well . If your dad didn't mind us snooping around them walls that would be good. If not we can come up with something. But a lot of that area has been hit hard over the years. The trick is to keep looking and not get discouraged.

Seems like you have the whole country covered. As mentioned, we can help when you get to eastern CT. Good luck picking your machine and I look forward to your posts and possibly hunting together.
    On Instagram- oxshoedrew

Welcome Ole # 7 , Coinnut and I have done a lot of detecting in and around the Ashford area . As he said just give us a few weeks notice as to when your comming out and we can probably arrange a hunt with a few of the locals on here.

As for the MXT pro its a great machine and will get the job done , I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it .

Dan
    "Honesty is an expensive gift ,
    so don't expect it from cheap people"

XP Deus II , DFX ,TDI sl -

Click here to view my finds album

Veteran Member
    Welcome and good luck. Safe & HH

Welcome Ole#7 to the forum just joined a few days ago myself now that your here I cant wait to see your finds this year good luck HH
    Remember Think Old and Gold

I've been looking at all the sweet history from Ct. and Mass., but then I know that the French and Indians traveled all over the Great Lakes region. There HAS to be some great old finds out here in Michigan!!!

Ole #7 about how much money are you going to spend on your detector ???
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!

Lets see... The MXT Pro with the Eclipse 9.5 coil will run me $805.00. I'd like to get a pinpointer, and a 6x10DD. Some folks suggested different coils. It isn't an easy thing to figure out!

Lets see... The MXT Pro with the Eclipse 9.5 coil will run me $805.00. I'd like to get a pinpointer, and a 6x10DD. Some folks suggested different coils. It isn't an easy thing to figure out!
    It can be difficult to figure it all out to be sure. Might I suggest you start out spending less than $400 to see if your even going to like the hobby. there are three Whites detectors in the Coin master family all for under $400. they are all good solid machines that can easily become back up machines should you decide you enjoy the hobby and buy more expensive models. I'm sure others here can chime in on there favorite entry model machines of manufactures beside whites. Point is for around the $400 dollar mark or less, you get a pretty good machine to start with!
    Last edited by Tom; 02-12-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    Tom
    Oldest Pull Tab Found, Mid 1963!
    Coin Master-4D, Coin Master-GT, Spectra-V3i.
    Most reliable and accurate metal detector ever made: A Magnet...
    There is a tool for almost anything, however no one tool works for everything!