Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barber Coins And Mercury Dimes

Barber Coins And Mercury Dimes

I had planned on an early trip to the site I worked yesterday but I had a late start. It worked out well anyway. The site was quiet and peaceful, allowing me moments of thoughts, which were only interrupted by the sweet sound of deep silver. I don't mind those kinds of interruptions. I detected for about five hours, and ended the day with six silver coins.

This is my ninth Barber half this year. It sounded off beautifully! The long grass and overgrowth of shrubs had kept it hidden from me all year, but the recent mowing of the tall wild grass and the cutting off of the overgrown shrubs offered me a great opportunity to work the area. How could I resist?

A Barber coin of each series. How sweet! The Barber quarter and dime do not have a mint mark, and neither does the 1916 mercury dime. Maybe next time. lol

It doesn't show up well on the photo, but there was snowy frost on the ground.

HH!

Re: Barber Coins And Mercury Dimes

Nice coins Great looking Barber Half, and the rest ain't too shabby either lol Glad it worked out for you. The ground was a bit frosty today. Nice that you could even dig where you were.
    Finding relics is in my blood

GPX 5000, CTX 3030, E Trac, Vista Gold

Congrats Angel, that half looks great!
    E-Trac, X-1
    Sovereign GT, S-1
    Ace 250

Quote Originally Posted by coinnut View Post
    Nice coins Great looking Barber Half, and the rest ain't too shabby either lol Glad it worked out for you. The ground was a bit frosty today. Nice that you could even dig where you were.
    Some of the more exposed ground made for tough digging, but the areas covered with short grass and stubble weren't a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by BHNugget View Post
    Congrats Angel, that half looks great!
    Thanks BH!

Great looking silver Angel.

I'm suprised it hasn't snowed yet over there.

-PP
    Garrett ACE 250 - Whites Bullseye - 9 x 12" Coil

Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner. I wondered about that because on the factory coin mode, it is open but I couldn't figure out what targets might come in with low Fe and Co. Merry Christmas and I hope you have a super 2011!
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thats a cool Barber trio!

NICE! Six silver will brighten up your day <: BTW your Etrac was wrong. The machine says 1910, the half is a 1908. Better send it in for repair...
    Having fun is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    NICE! Six silver will brighten up your day <: BTW your Etrac was wrong. The machine says 1910, the half is a 1908. Better send it in for repair...
    lol rofl

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyDigger View Post
    Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner.
    That is an interesting pattern... I've been running with just a straight block of Fe disced out, but at a lower level than what Angel shows in the pic... I think it's around 22 or so. Does anything good ever ring up with an Fe higher than that?

Anyway, amazing digs as always! That would be my best hunt ever, but frankly, I can say that about pretty much all of your hunts!
    Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Sovereign GT - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV - Tesoro Compadre
    Oldest find - 1804 Draped Bust Half Cent

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by ProPointer View Post
    Great looking silver Angel.

I'm suprised it hasn't snowed yet over there.

-PP
    Let's keep it that way too. lol At least until January.

Congrats more great silver finds. Interesting discrimination pattern you are running. I notice you blocked out the upper left corner. I wondered about that because on the factory coin mode, it is open but I couldn't figure out what targets might come in with low Fe and Co. Merry Christmas and I hope you have a super 2011!
    The discrimination pattern I use is a slightly modified version of the one Andy Sabisch posted elsewhere. You can read about Andy's rationale for the pattern HERE.

I have been using the modified pattern since May of last year, and it has more than done well for me with the settings I settled on. I posted those HERE, along with the Fe/Co numbers that have been discriminated out of the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by pulltabsteve View Post
    lol lol

Well, what came out of that particular hole was an older memorial cent. lol

Quote Originally Posted by z118 View Post
    That is an interesting pattern... I've been running with just a straight block of Fe disced out, but at a lower level than what Angel shows in the pic... I think it's around 22 or so. Does anything good ever ring up with an Fe higher than that?

Anyway, amazing digs as always! That would be my best hunt ever, but frankly, I can say that about pretty much all of your hunts!
    There are times when using a high sensitivity at an area where the ground is difficult or laden with much trash that good targets will generate Fe numbers in the high 20's. I have had good targets hit at 24 and 25. This has also been the case with very deep silver.

Thanks Angel,
    I found the file and downloaded it to my computer. I will upload it to my E-trac and I look forward to trying it out at that old park. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit first. We been below freezing 8 days now. Ground is ROCK hard.
    Oldest Coin: 100-60 BC Gallic bronze coin (Sequani Tribe)
    Oldest Silver Coin: 1156 hammered Pfennig from (now) Bavaria
    Oldest U.S. coin: 1805 Draped Bust Large Cent
    Best Coins EVER: 1625 4 Sols from Kingdom of Chateau Renaud, France
    1662 15 Kreuzers, Leopold I, Austria
    Best Relics: Bronze Age Arrowheads & Spearhead, 2c Roman silver ring, complete medieval knight's spur (x6)
    YouTube Channel: Full Metal Digger

Thanks Angel,
    I found the file and downloaded it to my computer. I will upload it to my E-trac and I look forward to trying it out at that old park. I just have to wait for it to warm up a bit first. We been below freezing 8 days now. Ground is ROCK hard.
    Oh man! I feel your pain! I will likely be dealing with the same thing in the coming week.

I think you will like the pattern. It is great for parks, and it has been especially good when working very trashy sites. A slow sweep is a must at such sites though.

That is a beautiful barber half Angel. As well as the other coins. Worth a little bit of tough digging. That half would have been a very nice 1000th coin thumbsup01

Quote Originally Posted by angellionel View Post
    It doesn't show up well on the photo, but there was snowy frost on the ground.
    rofl lol I am crying tears for you while here in the south, completely frozen under five inches of ice and snow.

Minelab E-Trac/Sun Ray X-1 -- Minelab Sovereign GT/Sun Ray S-1 -- White's v3i/Sun Ray DX-1
    Fisher CZ3D -- Tesoro Tiger Shark -- Garrett ACE 250

Those Barbers should count as more than a single coin!!!
    SeabeeRon on the beach in Santa Cruz,CA.

Excelletn Barber trio, congrats to you!
    Minelab Equinox 600 & Whites Coinmaster, Garrett Propointer, Lesche Digger
    Oldest silver: 1853 Half-dime & 1876S Seated Quarter / Oldest coin: 1849 US Large Cent / 1854 Upper Canada One Penny Bank Token

love the site of that frozen plug flipped over thumbsup01 a beautiful hunt man congrats!
    2008-14 coppers
    2009-32 coppers
    2010-34 coppers 2-GW buttons
    2011- 80 & 3/4 coppers 1-GW button
    2012- 92 coppers/large cents 1-GW button
    2013- 57 1/4 coppers 6- GW Buttons
    2014- 69 coppers 1-GW button
    2015- 20 1/4 coppers
    2016-44 coppers 1-GW button
    2017-19 & 1/2 coppers
    2018-19 coppers 1-GW
    2019-5 coppers
    click to see my photo album

Wow that is one beautiful half! Wishing you luck on finding 8 more silvers this year The pressure is on!
    Oldest silver-- 1838o seated dime (no stars)
    Oldest copper-- 1820 LC

White's V3i, Coinmaster, XLT, Prism IV, Whites new TRX PP- Love it!!! Garretts PP

Quote Originally Posted by Epi-hunter View Post
    That is a beautiful barber half Angel. As well as the other coins. Worth a little bit of tough digging. That half would have been a very nice 1000th coin thumbsup01

rofl lol I am crying tears for you while here in the south, completely frozen under five inches of ice and snow.
    Thanks Angie. The weather pattern you are experiencing in KY is what I would have expected here by now. But I'm not complaining! lol

Quote Originally Posted by SeabeeRon View Post
    Those Barbers should count as more than a single coin!!!
    That should be the rule. rofl

Quote Originally Posted by milco View Post
    Excelletn Barber trio, congrats to you!
    Thanks milco!

Quote Originally Posted by HEAVYMETALNUT View Post
    love the site of that frozen plug flipped over thumbsup01 a beautiful hunt man congrats!
    Thanks Dave. It was tough digging, but worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by tanacat View Post
    Wow that is one beautiful half! Wishing you luck on finding 8 more silvers this year The pressure is on!
    I sure hope this weekend's weather holds up or it is over. No, I don't feel the pressure. rofl

Veteran Member

Congrats on the Silver !! Beautiful Coins and pic's !!
    V3i DFX 10 DD 6x10 DD 4x6 DD DX-1